Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stripping paint from a 68 2A 109. just the stripping and nothing but the stripping

I did a 68 2a 109 and MAN was that paint on there, I didn't strip the roof. My plan was to blast the whole thing but the aluminum panels cannot take any heat so blasting is out. I tried a couple of strippers but in the end had to buy AIRCRAFT stripper and even that took a few applications on some sections. The finished truck looked great after I prepped, primed and painted it and well worth the time and effort to remove all the junk layers. The stripper I used said "aircraft" stripper on the one gallon jugs I used that I got from an auto body supply store, not cheap and I went through quite a few.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

I figure either the citrus and or the aircraft stripper won't be cheap but compared to either the 72.00 per hour in VT or 96.00 in Boston the rover restorers want to charge i'll be saving a few bucks...to then dump into it somewhere else..

From what I hear soda blasting will strip the paint but not build up so much heat to warp the panels. We have a local place here that I have not tried yet but I hear the results are fantastic. I guess they use baking soda and you can buy the setup yourself too for about the same as a sand blaster. It may be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by podelson View Post
    Eventually she is getting a new galvanized frame and bulkhead, although with ECR no longer doing them I will be sure to be asking where in the future.

That and the pros and cons of putting a 6 cylinder back into her like she had initially had instead of the 4 she has now...
    You're trying to save money by stripping the paint off yourself, but would get ECR to do a chassis swap?? Hmm...

As for the common 4 or rare 6 question--Let this thread be your guide: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...-pump-troubles
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Oh god i would not pay ECR money, they were just one of the few I knew who did it, but they are no longer in "the series business" according to them. I think they are making enough off fixing up 110s for Copley to sell to the nantucket hamptons crowd
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    You're trying to save money by stripping the paint off yourself, but would get ECR to do a chassis swap?? Hmm...

As for the common 4 or rare 6 question--Let this thread be your guide: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...-pump-troubles