Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: series clutch question

Default series clutch question

Driving in 4th gear and under hard acceleration will cause the engine rpm to race
    feeling like clutch slippage. At slower speeds no problem. No burned plate smell like I would suspect but it must be a week pressure plate. The clutch plate and throw out bearing where replaced about 6,000 miles ago when the 2.8L ACR high performance engine was installed buy the previous owner.
    The clutch pedal has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch play before applying pressure to the throw out bearing, seems normal.
    is the normal clutch friction point up high on the pedal travel or should it be
    lower near the floor?
    Any helpful hints or did I miss something?
    Maby its just too much power with the new Engine....

Thanx guys, great forum

Jim

Perhaps the slave cylinder adjustment is out or the clutch pedal adjustment? Maybe it's just a bum clutch.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Is there anything leaking onto the clutch friction surfaces?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

There is only one way that engine speed can increase without road speed and that is to either be in neutral or the clutch IS slipping. You don't say if it's a 9 inch or 9 1/2 inch clutch you have. I would pull it apart before you ruin the flywheel, the clutch disc is already toast. Measure the clutch and make sure it's a 9 1/2 inch. I would machine the flywheel and use a new pressure plate and clutch disc. The old Ford 1/2 tons with a V8 used that 9 1/2 inch clutch so it should take the power you are trying to feed to it.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by busboy View Post
    There is only one way that engine speed can increase without road speed and that is to either be in neutral or the clutch IS slipping. You don't say if it's a 9 inch or 9 1/2 inch clutch you have. I would pull it apart before you ruin the flywheel, the clutch disc is already toast. Measure the clutch and make sure it's a 9 1/2 inch. I would machine the flywheel and use a new pressure plate and clutch disc. The old Ford 1/2 tons with a V8 used that 9 1/2 inch clutch so it should take the power you are trying to feed to it.

I dont know if its a 9 or 9.5 but I checked all the clutch adjustments from the book and its all in spec. Took it out for a spin on the highway and no slipping at all today. Cruised up to 65MPH no problem. Tried to slip the clutch accelerating and decelerating hard in 3rd and 4th all is good. Kinda strange but I was pushing the truck probably a bit hard off road the other day. Has any one experienced a heat induced clutch problem in the past? Possibly expanding fluid in the clutch system?
    I guess one lesson learned is to not push my 50 year old truck quite as hard off road.

Thanx for the help

Regards

Jim

The burn point for the organic lining on the clutch is around 550deg, if it was slipping that temp could easily be reached, like I mentioned the 9 1/2 inch organic clutch should easily be able to handle the power you are feeding it if everything is ok, (flywheel, pressure plate and adjustment) If after doing the steps I mentioned and you still have problems there is always ceramic linings which will go to around 1100 deg.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Thanx for the help guys. If it acts up again it will get a new ceramic disc and pressure plate. Is there any way to tell what size clutch with out taking it out of the truck?
    From what I have read so far both can be interchanged. My transmission is full syncro with the clutch slave on the right hand side with the later style bracket.
    I think that makes it a series 3 trany??

Thanx again

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by alaskantinbender View Post
    My transmission is full syncro with the clutch slave on the right hand side with the later style bracket. I think that makes it a series 3 trany??
    By right side, do you mean "left"? Vehicle position is always described in terms as if you're sitting in the vehicle, unless noted otherwise (or you're in the UK and use the terms "nearside" and "offside" so the enemy can't be sure of what side is being referred to, should they intercept and decode the message).

Anyhow, if it's on the left, then yes, you are describing a SIII transmission.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    By right side, do you mean "left"? Vehicle position is always described in terms as if you're sitting in the vehicle, unless noted otherwise (or you're in the UK and use the terms "nearside" and "offside" so the enemy can't be sure of what side is being referred to, should they intercept and decode the message).

Anyhow, if it's on the left, then yes, you are describing a SIII transmission.

Its on the right side of the trany.(from sitting in the truck) I expected to see it on the left as its a 1963 left hand drive series 11A 109.

Jim

Sounds like a SIII transmission with a IIa bell housing. Really doesn't matter if it's a 9" or 9 1/2", it shouldn't slip under the might of a 2.25L rover engine. If it's all adjusted correctly and the linkage is moving the way it should you probably just have a worn or contaminated clutch and the only thing you can do is take it apart and replace it. If so, just go with a 9 1/2" regular clutch. There is really no need to make it any more complicated.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president