Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: series clutch question

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Sounds like a SIII transmission with a IIa bell housing. Really doesn't matter if it's a 9" or 9 1/2", it shouldn't slip under the might of a 2.25L rover engine. If it's all adjusted correctly and the linkage is moving the way it should you probably just have a worn or contaminated clutch and the only thing you can do is take it apart and replace it. If so, just go with a 9 1/2" regular clutch. There is really no need to make it any more complicated.
    Yep, I agree. I take it the 9 or 9.5 is interchangable then. I will order the 9.5 with a new pressure plate and throw out bearing to change during my next brake from work.

Thanx

Jim
    1963 Series 11A 109, Left hand drive, Koneg PTO winch, ACR 2.8L 5 bearing power plus Engine with weber carb. Truetrac gear driven limited-slip traction rear differential.

Note that if you have a SIIA clutch actuating mechanism, the pressure plate is a bit different than a SIII pressure plate:

versus:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

A picture of your slave cylinder or mechanism would be helpful to determine what you have. The IIa slave is normally on the right of the transmission where it operates a cross shaft going into the bell housing. The SIII slave is normally on the left of the transmission.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

When I replaced my 2a trans with the ser3 I used the 2a clutch and bell housing and it worked like that for many years. Last year I changed out the clutch, pressure plate and machined the flywheel, the pressure plate was a ser3 so I stuck it together bled the system and it operates with no problems. So while the ser2a pressure plate has the rub piece so long as the throwout/release bearing is in good condition and is bled up it doesn't make any difference which one you use. I should add that a 9 1/2 inch clutch has considerably more surface area than a 9 inch. Also if you plan of resurfacing the flywheel then it's a good idea to change out the starter ring gear at the same time if it's original.
    Last edited by busboy; 01-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.