Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do these rims look look original/correct for a 68 109 2A

Default do these rims look look original/correct for a 68 109 2A

I feel like I should be able to answer this myself but I'm coming up blank. Please note this the very, very "before" picture taken by the person I bought it from
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are not factory rims but I have the same rims on my 88 that I bought in the UK around 25 years ago.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

so adding six rims goes on the list

Think those are disco d1 rims
    I think there was a thread not
    To long ago on the same question
    Aaron
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

wasn't that one of Mongoswede's trucks?
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

I think that is his name here but if it is a guy out of VT then yes. ought it in August and my resolution is to get working on it

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    wasn't that one of Mongoswede's trucks?

They don't make the wheels for this any more. They were a 5.5x16 with a riveted center. They are made to take tubes and bias ply 7.50x16 tires. I have to look up the part number cz the 16" wheels for the wagon are a different number than the ones that were (optionally) fitted to the 88" models. The rivets need to be sealed up with galvanizing, paint or powder coating and then you can use regular 235/85-16 radials without tubes. You can also use 110 wheels that have the welded center, or the Wolf wheels, but those look like a$$ to my eye.
    There are lots of them still kicking around. I have a set somewhere, but decided to go with the RRC Rostyles. I bet if you put the word out that you could come up with a set pretty easily for cheap.
    You can also lose the freewheel hubs up front and put the regular drive members on. In my opinion it is better that way. The axle was designed to turn in order to keep the guts lubed.

Thanks again. After reading this i was able to track down a specialty tire place that stocks bias ply 7.50x16 tires.
    As far as the rims go I would love to get going on the search asap. Got an email into LandRover Ranch to see if he has any and wanted to see the regs on this site about soliciting for parts to buy, not sell but just buy

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    They don't make the wheels for this any more. They were a 5.5x16 with a riveted center. They are made to take tubes and bias ply 7.50x16 tires. I have to look up the part number cz the 16" wheels for the wagon are a different number than the ones that were (optionally) fitted to the 88" models. The rivets need to be sealed up with galvanizing, paint or powder coating and then you can use regular 235/85-16 radials without tubes. You can also use 110 wheels that have the welded center, or the Wolf wheels, but those look like a$$ to my eye.
    There are lots of them still kicking around. I have a set somewhere, but decided to go with the RRC Rostyles. I bet if you put the word out that you could come up with a set pretty easily for cheap.
    You can also lose the freewheel hubs up front and put the regular drive members on. In my opinion it is better that way. The axle was designed to turn in order to keep the guts lubed.

Unless you are going the rivet counting route, and in that case, you are trying to follow in the steps of gentlemen like Laney Clark etc, I would honestly stay away from trying to do a full showroom perfect restoration. Bias ply tires went out of demand for a reason. There are plenty of factory like original wheels out there that would look perfect on that truck, but may not be a rivet counter's definite match. Those alternative wheels will allow you to run a more traditional radial tire, and enjoy your truck a lot more.

It is also the same idea with the NADA spec 6 cylinder engine. Unless you are going to do a full strip down, build up, perfect restoration, there is a reason why very few people still use this engine.

It's your truck, and please, do what you want with it. Don't let me, or anyone else distract you from your vision, but I think everyday functionality with a slant on originality is a better direction to be heading in than showroom originality with a less than functional outcome.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

I have some wheels that came off my '67 Ex-MOD 109, that I replaced with new Wolf wheels because I did not have patience to repaint. I will take some photos and post them for you to see if they might work.
    1971 Series IIa 109 Ex-MoD
    1994 Landcruiser FJZ80, ARB Front Bumper, Old Man EMU suspension