Thread: Original Trico Windshield Washer Assembly question.

Default Original Trico Windshield Washer Assembly question.

How does an original Trico Windshield Washer Assembly supposed to function? Does the spinning motor create (air?) pressure inside the water bottle? I'm referring to the original grey-top motor assembly which screws onto the top of a Series 2 washer bottle. Here's what I'm finding confusing - not having seen another working assembly before:

I've hooked up my 40-year-old Trico Washer Assembly - grounded it properly - and the motor spins just fine when I depress the washer knob on my dash. But there's no water being forced through the (genuine) hose toward the windshield. Oh, and yes, there's plenty of clean water inside my bottle. Currently there's only two plastic tube sections involved: the submerged tube that starts well inside the bottle, connecting to the underside of the bottle cap's outlet "nozzle"; and the clear connecting tube that runs from the cap's outlet "nozzle" to my windshield spray heads. There's no other parts involved on my assembly. Am I missing a part? What in the heck forces the water from inside the bottle outward?

NOTE: I'm going to take PICS of my entire assembly this weekend (hopefully) and post them ASAP.In the meantime, is there a genius out there who can help me - without the PICS? Thanks!

David's Daily Driver:
    1971 Series 2a, 88, LHD, soft-top

Hi Chilidavid:

There is a rubber impeller inside the pump - it sucks fluid out of the bottle and (hopefully) towards your screen.

I spent a few hours on this issue last month. My conclusion (after ripping my worn out pump apart) is that the rubber impeller turns soft and somewhat gooey after a few decades. Yours may be like this: the motor will work but the mushy impeller won't move any fluid.

I hooked up another (used) Genuine cap: it worked for a while and then crapped out. I have since reattached my external Trico pump.

If you want to keep a semblance of originality, Les at our Host will gladly sell you a Genuine Pump (Trico) for the Defender.

Just my $0.02: others may have had a different experience with these pumps.

Ted

Ted is right. I usually buy the external trico pumps which can be found inexpensively and rob the impeller as it is the same and fit them to the original cap mounted pump.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    Ted is right. I usually buy the external trico pumps which can be found inexpensively and rob the impeller as it is the same and fit them to the original cap mounted pump.
    So you just rebuild the original pump? Kool! Gotta try that.

Ha ha ha! My truck has the manual bulkhead mounted pump that never breaks! I have a spare if it ever does.