Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing key cylinder or tumbler HELP!!!!

Default Changing key cylinder or tumbler HELP!!!!

I have bought a 61 series 88 that the original owners can not find keys. Thought they had them but still can't find them. The rover has been sitting in storage for almost 30 years. So I bought a new ignition set from Rovers North. Which is the keys and tumbler. I can not get the old tumbler out for some reason and one other thread thought you had to have old key, which i don't. I am putting a piece of wire down the hole to depress pin and it feels like it is depressing, but i can not get it to come out. Does anyone have any pointers or experience with this.

Thanks Jason

Do you have the switch out or are you trying to do this with it still in the car?

The key cylinder is still in the rover. I took bolts out of dash panel, got switch loose from panel. Just try to get tumbler out so I can put new one in.

To remove a lock the key needs to be in the ignition lock in order to remove the lock. Since you need to rotate the key slightly to remove the lock you may have to take it to a lock smith.

There is a small hole in the side of the switch assembly between the instrument panel and the wire clamp. When the switch is mounted in the panel the hole is at the bottom of the switch. The headlamp switch needs to be in the off position for the hole to be open. This hole reaches down to where a spring loaded pin resides on the lock assembly. You need a very fine phillips screwdriver to push the pin down and release the lock assembly.

The hole in the switch body is in line with the lock assembly's spring loaded pin somewhere between the off and on position. Push the screwdriver into the hole and slowly rotate the key. You can feel the point go in a little farther when the pin is lined up with the hole. Press down on the screwdriver and gently pull on the key to remove the lock assembly.

To install a new lock the key must be in the lock assembly when you install it into a switch. You will need to line the lock assembly up so that the retractable pin is on the same side as the release hole. Push the lock assembly into the the switch body. The pin automatically locks into place inside the switch body.

Sorry but I do not know how to replace the lock barrel without the old key.

Drill very carefully with a 5/16 bit and a steady hand.
    67 angry hamsters

At "normal" dealers you can take the serial number and proof of ownership in and they can "punch" a key using the original key code to fit the factory lock. Now I did say "normal" but it might be worth a try. You can't remove the lock barrel using the normal method without the key.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

RoverDover you saying just to drill tumbler out?
    Can Rovers North cut a key off serial #? There is no land rover dealership close to me here.
    So last resort is to drill or put new ignition cylinder in?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrington View Post
    RoverDover you saying just to drill tumbler out?
    Can Rovers North cut a key off serial #? There is no land rover dealership close to me here.
    So last resort is to drill or put new ignition cylinder in?
    You can drill out the barrel but you may damage the portion of the lock you want to keep so I would try that as a last resort, you could also use a slide hammer again as a last resort. The difference between "cutting" and "punching" is cutting copies a key while punching uses a settable punch that uses the "key code" this does not require a key but proof of ownership. I'm not sure Landrover dealers would do this but every other car maker does so I don't see why Landrover wouldn't. I would first find out if a dealer will do this for you the rest can be done online or fax and the key could be mailed to you. The beauty of punching a key is you get an exact key not a copy of a worn one.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

A land rover dealer can cut one of these old keys? Does anyone have any experience doing this? I doubt a land rover dealership here in Texas could do it. I don't there are very many of the older rovers here as compared to the north east states, which probably have blanks and experience with a 1961 key code.

So if a dealer can punch me a new key, is all they would be is the letters and numbers on cylinder?
    Also does anyone know a land rover dealership that can cut one of these old style keys?