Thread: Gasket Material or Source for "rubber" seal in '67 Brake and Clutch Reservoir Help

Default Gasket Material or Source for "rubber" seal in '67 Brake and Clutch Reservoir Help

Does anyone know where I could source the small washer sized "rubber" gasket that is on the bottom of the Brake and Clutch metal reservoir found on '67 Series IIa? It looks like it tore when I unscrewed it from the bottom of the can. If no simple source, then what the gasket material is that holds up to Brake and Clutch fluid that I could fashion my own?

I did find this posting on gasket material website for SBR:

SBR (Styrene-Butadiene Rubber)

SBR is a synthetic polymer with properties similar to Natural Rubber. It has good water and brake fluid resistance along with good abrasion resistance. It has better heat temperatures that Natural Rubber. SBR should not be used for applications in contact with strong acids, ozone, oils, fats greases and most hydrocarbons.

Also on TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer)

TPE also known as TRP is a thermoplastic material the has some rubber like properties but process like a plastic material. They can be used in applications where temperatures range from minus 40 degrees centigrade to 125 degrees centigrade. TPE has excellent resistant to polar fluids and fair to good resistance to oils and hydrocarbon fluids while offering good electrical properties.

Sounds like Hylomar Universal Blue is resistant to the DOT-4 brake fluid we use.
    Last edited by kenscs; 01-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    1971 Series IIa 109 Ex-MoD
    1994 Landcruiser FJZ80, ARB Front Bumper, Old Man EMU suspension

The following rubber gasket materials have an excellent chemical resistance to ethylene glycol, according to the Standard Gasket website:

• Fluoroelastomer (Type 1 or A), Fluorinated Rubber, Fluorocarbon Rubber, Viton ®
    • Silicone Rubber
    • EPDM, EPR, EP Rubber
    • Buna-N, Nitrile Rubber
    • Neoprene, Chloroprene

So just source an appropriate rubber washer made of a material listed from your favorite source. For example,
    the very bottom of this page here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-flat-washers/=kxuonw
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

There are soft copper washers in my S1 can.