Thread: Trico Washer Assembly and Pics this time

Default Trico Washer Assembly and Pics this time

Thanks for your response to my earlier questions regarding my 40-year old Trico Washer Assembly - the one with something (?) missing. Here's the pics I intended to include last time, but my questions out-ran my organizational discipline.

What in the heck is my assembly missing? Anyone got pics of the real thing?

Thanks again for any assistance.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_TRICO.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	7678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B_TRICO.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	7679  

Deleted.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

you are missing the impeller, impeller drive, and cover

This looks odd - I don't see any inlet or outlet pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    This looks odd - I don't see any inlet or outlet pipes.
    The vintage Trico Washer Assembly is self-contained. This is my first encounter with one. And my assembly, I discovered, is missing some major parts, as pointed out by others!

Below is a photo of my Trico Assembly recently installed in my '71 2a. As you can see, the water bottle is actually an integral part of the system. Water is pumped from its own bottle. And the cap-unit easily screws off to allow for quick refills.

TRICK INSTALLATION:
    My assembly, as seen here, does not actually function - especially without its pumping "mechanisms" inside the cap. So, I just installed a separate Trico pump on the underside of the fender. The stainless steel screw head - showing on the left side of the bottle - is one of the screws used to mount the new Trico pump onto the flip side of the fender. The red power wire you see here is fake. It's there just for looks; same with the black ground wire. The supply hose is a different story though. My new under-fender Trico pump uses the original Trico bottle for its water, so the supply hose you see runs through a hole behind the bottle, through a rubber grommit of course, and attaches to the new (hidden) Trico pump!

It works fine. Now I just have to install my original alloy washer nozzles. The aftermarket plastic nozzles I'm using now are not "angled" so that the water squirts AT the windscreen and not OVER the windscreen! Right now, my plastic nozzles squirt water past the windscreen and onto my soft-top! Oh well. When you own a Series Rover, it's Never Over.

Chili David
    Daily Driver; 1971 2a, 88, Soft-top, LHD
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some washer nozzles are adjustable. Stick a pin in the opening where the fluid squirts out and you may be able to "aim" the nozzle by pushing the pin towards the windshield. Sometimes it is just a ball in a socket so you can rotate it to where it needs to spray.

That makes sense! When I examined my original nozzles, the actual "ball-shaped" nozzles were definately "angled" slightly. Now I'll take a closer look at my plastic after-market nozzles - under a light - and see if they can be rotated! I should have checked them out before. Thanks for the help. The more I utillze this Forum thing, the more I start to think I'm getting smarter? NOT!

Got 'em aimed. You're a genius. I put a small amount of 3-in-1 oil on each of the tiny ball-shaped nozzles, and then used a pin to aim each nozzle back toward the windscreen. Perfect. Thanks!

Glad it worked. I used to only be able to wash my windshield above 20mph for the same reason. I have to give my father credit for that trick. It only took him 30 seconds to fix what I had been dealing with for months!

Quote Originally Posted by ArlowCT View Post
    Glad it worked. I used to only be able to wash my windshield above 20mph for the same reason. I have to give my father credit for that trick. It only took him 30 seconds to fix what I had been dealing with for months!
    Fathers can be great that way, my dad always seems to be able to solve any problem after just glancing at it for a second, after I'd been working on it for weeks or months.