Thread: S3 heater woes, no power to switch, 1/2 of blower working...

Default S3 heater woes, no power to switch, 1/2 of blower working...

Help! Came back from the holiday, started the S3, 109 diesel, turned on the blower to high, and...nothing. Found 1 fuse burnt out, and water frozen in squirrel cage. Thawed everything out, drained squirrel cage, drilled a weep hole to prevent this again, replaced fuse...still nothing. Disconnected blower motor and attached directly to battery; one lead nothing, other lead some movement. Checked to see if power at hot lead on switch, nothing. Me thinks hot lead at switch must be shorted or burnt inside loom. Been looking for a wiring diagram for heater circuit, but found nothing in parts diagram or workshop manuals.

I think I have burnt some of the windings on the blower and damaged the wiring loom. All other wiring circuits are good. Does anyone out there have ideas about where to find schematics and new blower motors? Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks,

Much obliged for the diagram! Do you happen to know if there is a resistor. at the heater motor to run two speeds?
    1975 SIII 109, 200 TDI, P-38 power steering, ex-Norwegian Army

there is

Well...I'll just run out there and dig in. Its only 26 Deg here in Maine!
    1975 SIII 109, 200 TDI, P-38 power steering, ex-Norwegian Army

Where in Maine are you located? There are a few of us on here that are from Maine.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.