Thread: Ring gear bolt size.

Default Ring gear bolt size.

So a few weeks ago I was pulling out of my buddies driveway and as you can imagine, first to second led to rolling backwards me frantically shifting thinking the truck popped out of gear. However later to find, I sheared the 10 bolts holding the ring gear in place on my series III. After pulling the diff and scooping the broken bolts out of the housing (and gear itself) it's time to put everything back together. I know the bolts are whitworth, and I can get them from Roversnorth, however I may try and source something locally first since it's my daily driver (I'm in Nova Scotia)

Anyone know the size?

Thanks fellas. -nick

If your sheared them off its because the bolts came loose. make sure to degrease bolts and carrier and apply Loctite when reassembling and install new locking tab thingys.
    67 angry hamsters

7/16ths x 1" fine thread. Not Whitworth.

Default Whitworth diff bolts

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDover View Post
    If your sheared them off its because the bolts came loose. make sure to degrease bolts and carrier and apply Loctite when reassembling and install new locking tab thingys.
    RD is correct. The Whitworth bolts have minimal hardness and are not available in a harder alloy. I've been unable to fnd a suitable upgrade and ended up having a diff built in a metric case with upgraded ring and pinion that accepts improved hardware. Unless you plan on spending a ton of money, replace the stock bolts with new stock bolts, assemble the ring gear with all threads clean and dry, use blue Loctite and new lock tabs. Torque the bolts to spec, then back off each bolt individually and retorque to spec. It's better to do this before the Loctite cures but not absolute.
    There are thousands/millions of these trucks running around with stock diff bolts, many of them loose. If you do the above, your truck will be in better shape than most.

The aftermarket replacement 4.70 gears use 3/8 x 24. A worthwhile upgrade. Just my .02.

Tapatalk sucks, sent from Matthew's IPhone