Thread: Battery Suggestions

Default Battery Suggestions

I am looking to buy a new battery for a 109 6 cylinder. The battery is under the drivers seat. Advise on the best battery to buy, please.

The biggest one that fits with the most juice. Especially if you live in a cold climate or drive a diesel. Unless you are going with a dual battery set-up or are running the battery low all the time because of a winch, I would just go with a general starter battery vs. a deep cycle marine style, and a brand that is sold by whatever is convenient to you. Sears, Napa, Pep boys etc. They often times have a good, better and best category for their products with varying levels of warranty and quality. Go with what fits your budget, and replace accordingly.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    The biggest one that fits with the most juice.
    That's been pretty much my philosophy for a main battery. Measure the battery tray foot print and max height for under seat and take your tape measure on a shopping trip. Look for the biggest meanest battery with the long warranty from your favorite retailer that will fit.

If you are in a cold climate or don't fire up your Rover very often you might also consider converting to an aftermarket reduction gear starter motor. They turn the engine over a lot faster using less current than a stock starter motor.

I believe a Group 27 is the largest battery that will fit under the bonnet, but I cannot confirm its the same for the under seat battery.

I've found this chart to be pretty close when it comes to group battery sizes, though each manufacturer may have a slight variance for things like hold down lugs or whatever:

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Group 27 Deka or Odyssey. Buy by weight. Heavier = more lead = more energy.

I have been buying mine at the junkyard, I just tell them give me the biggest top post battery you have! I've had this one for three years, starts fine in freezing weather, had a 60 day warranty, runs my warn 8274 winch perfectly, and only cost $20!

Interstate makes great batteries,