Thread: Another Battery Question

Default Another Battery Question

First of all I want to thank everyone who responded with helpul information to my last battery question. Here is one other question I have.

Given the size constraints of the battery box, which is the most important indicator of battery power: Weight or CCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul and Judson View Post
    First of all I want to thank everyone who responded with helpul information to my last battery question. Here is one other question I have.

Given the size constraints of the battery box, which is the most important indicator of battery power: Weight or CCA?
    IMHO CCA is key. That said, size and CCA tend to go hand-in-hand, but not always.

Different types of batteries will have different weights for the same CCA. Don't worry about weight. Look at CCA and construction.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

I just replaced the battery in my Lexus SUV. I had to go to a smaller sized battery in order to increase the CCA. If you are in a cold environment, go for 700 or more CCA. 800 if you can find one!
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

The answer is, it depends on what the battery's job is. If it is starting an engine, then maybe yes cranking amps is what you want more than storage capacity. If it is supposed to run accessories, then you want a heavy battery with lots of reserve. Apples to apples.
    They do make batteries that are dual-purpose, as well as dedicated starting or storage.