Name:	0115130659a.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	7714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0115130659.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	7715

I bought and installed a new master cylinder on my 109 (see above). I was running lines when I noticed the rear port was larger than the front port. the lines that RN sold me to run from teh master to the front three way fitting has afitting too large fo rthe front port on the MC. this has me scared that I have the wrong MC. Can anyone tell me by looking at the MC photos if this is a 109 dual circuit MC? Are there any markings or dimensions that I can use to confirm?

has anyone run into this problem with the fitting being too large? If so what did you do? Is there some adapter I need?

I have a feeling the rear port is for the front brakes but I may be wrong. Do the rear lines fit the front port?

Yes that is dual MC. Forward port for rear brakes. Yes two different port sizes. Don't know which for that MC you have. Could be 10mm x 1 and 12mm x 1, or 3/8-24 and 7/16-20. Either way get nuts for DIN flare and 3/16 pipe. Parts at fedhillusa.com.

O2batsea

thanks for reply. when I look at http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm it says the larger port in the rear means it is a dual MC for a 109 but that does not match up with the size fitting that RN sent me and it looks like the 88 dual MC in the pics on http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm. That is why I was wondering if there is any other markings or dimensions that will confirm it is indeed for a 109.

So the RN parts are wrong? I guess you are telling me... or they could be right for certain Dual 109 MC just not the model I have?

no - too big

Did you buy the brake lines for an 88 and the 109 MC? It sounds like that is what you did from your initial post. If that is the case, then you will need adapters to fit the 109 MC. no wrong parts, you are trying to mate two different model fittings.

Just cut the brake pipes, install the correct fittings, and reflare the ends of the pipe, and Bob's your uncle.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    Just cut the brake pipes, install the correct fittings, and reflare the ends of the pipe, and Bob's your uncle.
    This.
    Looks like it is an early 110/S3 109 master. I honestly cannot remember which fittings it takes, even tho I just ordered them for my project truck. I really want to say they are metric. I'm like 98% sure they are.

Quote Originally Posted by greenrover View Post
    when I look at http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm it says the larger port in the rear means it is a dual MC for a 109 but that does not match up with the size fitting that RN sent me and it looks like the 88 dual MC in the pics on http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm. That is why I was wondering if there is any other markings or dimensions that will confirm it is indeed for a 109.
    I took a look at your pictures. None of them are a eye level profile of the body but it looks to me like you are installing an 88 master cylinder. If you look at the master cylinder pictures I have about half way down the web page you can see the differences. The 88 brake cylinder body is a constant diameter when viewed from profile. The 109 master cylinder when viewed from the side is taller for the half of the cylinder body closest to the servo unit then about half way down its length steps down. This is the diagnostic visible difference between the two types. Look at my pictures then look at your master cylinder. It should become obvious.

I recently had to replace the master cylinder on my 71 2a 88 but couldn't get one in time for a show so I managed to get a new 109, not only did bolt straight in but it works exactly the same as the one I had which was original. If you do end up cutting and re-flaring lines remember brake lines must have a double flare.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by busboy View Post
    I recently had to replace the master cylinder on my 71 2a 88 but couldn't get one in time for a show so I managed to get a new 109, not only did bolt straight in but it works exactly the same as the one I had which was original. If you do end up cutting and re-flaring lines remember Master Cylinder brake lines must have a DIN flare.
    Fixed it. There are both double flares and DIN flares on a Rover. The DIN flare looks like a mushroom.