Thread: clutch issues

Default clutch issues

Ok, getting ready to kill the Rover.

I recently rebuilt my 1972 SIII (2 winters ago with less than 300 miles on it), new galvanized chasis etc etc. I have all new lines throughout the truck. Recently noticed the clutch started to feel a little "sticky" at times. Would step on it and it would not pop right back up. Well, after driving recently, it felt great at first then felt sticky after a bit of driving. I stepped on the clutch and when I went to release it, it stopped working. It pretty much locked up so I could not compress it at all and it would stay desengage like I had my foot on the clutch. I didn't hear anything coming from the bell housing etc. It will sometimes pop back so I can step on it only for it to happen again. If I let it sit for a bit it will start to work and feel fine again for a bit of driving only to happen again. Over the last couple months I changed the slave (new), the master (used but of a driveable truck) and the flex (from rubber to stainless).

Thoughts before I pull the transmission back.
    Pete

Did your problem start after putting in the new slave cylinder and MC?

After my rebuild, I found that my brand new Girling slave cylinder was binding (the piston was sticking in the bore). The replacement was also sticky. I switched to an alloy-body aftermarket slave and it solved my problem.

No, it started prior so I started changing things one at a time. Guess the new slave could still be the culprit? What did you use as an aftermarket slave?

I used an Allmakes slave cylinder.
    It may be possible that the throwout bearing is binding, keeping the clutch disengaged.