Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bellhouse Leak

You don't need to change the slave cylinder when you change the master cylinder, but as the parts are reasonably inexpensive, most change them both out based on their age. That includes the pipe work. The rubber flex hose is prone to failure over time, and the metal pipe corrodes and may as well be replaced if it looks questionable since you have it all apart.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

The brake master cylinder is easy to get at, but the clutch master is a bit tight. There is no brake slave cylinder really, every wheel has its own slave I guess you could say.

The clutch slave cyl is down under the trans tunnel on the passenger side, easy to get at if your floor panel hardware comes out easy, not so easy if all your hardware is corroded. I rebuilt my clutch master which is an easy job if you have a bench where you can be clean and take your time. Getting to it is a different story though, the wing top is in the way. If you do decide to take your wing off to get at what you need, then you might as well rebuild or replace both cylinders while you're there, especially if your brakes are dicey. In my opinion, if you wanted to do the best job possible you could send the cylinders off to be bored out and brass lined.

If you get the the wing off its good time to look at what else is down there (steering box etc..) As you can see though its all too easy to get into everything!! Resist, or you wont be driving your truck for a few months.

have fun!

~Ste
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----