Thread: Removing/by-passing ABS on 95 RRC?

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Default Removing/by-passing ABS on 95 RRC?

Doable?

Although the ABS and TC has its moments of utility, for most part I can do without. Even more so since this truck will be off road 75% of its use time. I have been able to by-pass and remove ABS systems on Subaru (for rally cars), but I have no idea what it would take to remove ABS on a RRC. My ABS system is wonky (yes all three lights are on: brake, ABS, and TC) and I was wondering if/what others have done to by-pass the OEM ABS.

Anyone know if it has been done? If so, was it a moderate or extensive (PITA) undertaking?

I'm thinking 500 bucks can buy a lot AN3 fittings, brake line, and resistors to keep from throwing codes... Obviously I don't care about keeping stock integrity.

I've searched a bit, but found nothing on removing, only replace ABS. If ya gots stories please share'm.
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Yes, but you have to remove all the ABS schmidt, replace the ABS master cylinder with a pre-ABS pedal/tower, booster and MC. Then you replumb the brake lines, bleed and go on your way.

I'm not familiar with the RRC braking system, but is the ABS MC that much different from the non-ABS MC? On the '95 Disco even though Rover specs a different MC between the ABS and non-ABS a number of people have removed the ABS pump but used the same MC without issue. Of course the Disco doesn't have TC so maybe that makes a bigger difference.
    Last edited by antichrist; 02-02-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Night and day difference between the RRC and DI braking systems. Think cost no object versus built to a price point. There's a reason the ABS block on a RRC costs around $3K whereas the DI is about half that cost. When Rover decided to be the first ever manufacturer to offer ABS on a full time four wheel drive passenger vehicle they spared little expense in doing so. It's no so simple as removing the pump or pulling a fuse. It's major surgery.
    paulgrant@mac.com
    203-770-1699

Is the RRC ABS tied in to engine management the way it is on later the Discovery? I can't see that it is, but then I didn't look in detail. I do see that the RRC and D1 systems are not at all alike.
    It does look like you'd have to replace the MC and maybe booster, but it looks more like a matter of having to remove a lot of stuff, or at least disconnect it, and install a non-ABS pressure reducing valve.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grant View Post
    When Rover decided to be the first ever manufacturer to offer ABS on a full time four wheel drive passenger vehicle they spared little expense in doing so. It's no so simple as removing the pump or pulling a fuse. It's major surgery.
    Was afraid of that... On the '95 RRC I have too many features, on my '76 SIII I have too few....perhaps I need to exchange them for an '85 110 Country.... Will keep this thread posted on what I end up doing with the RRC ABS.

Paul: do you take direct deposit from my employer?
    Last edited by REDrum; 02-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Probably easier to remove those warning light bulbs

So, I'm going the rebuild the ABS route instead of by-pass the ABS route. Got a very good deal on a NIB ABS pump.