Thread: side view mirror toubles

Default side view mirror toubles

Lucky to own and work on a 72 series 3 - 88. Question- Was the side view mirrors only placed on the doors for this model year. Was thinking about putting the round OEM mirrors on the wings (has the plugs already). just seems like what ever i do to adjust the door mirrors i can never get them set for a a good view. Am i missing something.
    72 series 3 88
    74 bmw r90s

You probably know this already, but on the SIII mirrors, the arm part swivels into different spring-loaded detents in the base so sometimes if you you run out of travel on the mirror itself, you can swing the arm into the next detent and go from there.

I know what you mean, though--My passenger's side mirror is at the extreme edge of travel and, fortunately, stops moving in just the right spot for me.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I would put them back on the wings. If the plugs are there, that is where they came from originally. Most door mounted mirrors really came in on late SIII's and 90's
    Name:  SIII_Small.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  74.5 KB

I really like defender mirrors.

I agree about the defender mirrors for functionality. The wing mirrors are cool, but not the best for rear view visibility. Thay also can be a PITA to adjust, can't reach them for one thing. The defender style hinges with the mirror mounting holes are an easy bolt on replacement.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    The defender style hinges with the mirror mounting holes are an easy bolt on replacement.
    x2...only way to go - not "concourse resto" but quite functional
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)

so what i understand is that the wing mirrors are stock on the early series 3. all the vintage pictures i see of original series are on the doors. just like to keep my Rig stock - the wing mirrors do look real cool though. any thoughts
    72 series 3 88
    74 bmw r90s

Quote Originally Posted by john connelly View Post
    any thoughts
    Yup. Do what you want--it's your truck. Whatever ends up being the safest for you and all the other motorists out there is probably the way to go.

Not sure if yours is a RHD, but if it is, the left side mirror is ultra-important to get right.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).