Thread: (Conversion wiring) a 300Tdi in a 94-96 Discovery 5-Speed

Default (Conversion wiring) a 300Tdi in a 94-96 Discovery 5-Speed

I need to get a little help from anyone that has installed (Conversion) a 300Tdi in a 94-96 Discovery 5-Speed and removed the 3.9 ECU! The trick is getting all the wiring sorted so that the 300Tdi is able to benefit from having just what it needs without passing through any Computer.. I have a Brand new 300Tdi Engine Harness and would like to pull it through the Fire-wall boot and then tie into the necessary item to have all things working. It would be nice to compare notes with anyone that has undertaken this task.

I would suggest looking at the ETM that comes with the Disco manuals on the CD.
    I haven't done it, but am planning on putting a 300Tdi in my '95.
    It should be pretty straight forward. Is it the older 300Tdi with just glow plugs and fuel shutoff solenoid?
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

This 300Tdi was a EGR ECM Motor but I am using nothing but the basic Electrical pick-ups i.e. Tach/Alt, Oil PSI/Filter Housing, Water Temp/T-Housing, TWO Temp SW for AC AUX and Over Temp AUX Fan/ T-housing, Glow Timer Relay. But the real secret is cutting out all of the wires at the 40/55 pin connector at the ole ECU under the Glove Box. I have the two A/C relays (COMP Clutch, Fan) now on the harness in the Engine Comp by the Fuse Box Main. What has been toying is the CRUZ wiring Anti-Theft for the Starter Relay. I also obtained a 300Tdi “New Old Stock” Instrument Cluster with Glow-Light and Diesel Fuel Indicators.. Just would like to run into some more details along this wiring road if possible. I do have RAVE and ETM, But it doesnt call out 100% of intergration only the EFI path or 300Tdi What would be nice to have is the Pass through of all the wires and control Logic that the ECM has for each PIN and then this would be clear as MUD.. But not having some of that Information it is going to be a little trial and error. Thanks for your time in this matter.
    Last edited by atlautoboss; 01-29-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Yeah, the Discovery shop manual CD would be a good investment. It covers both the V8 and 300Tdi models so you can compare wiring between the two.
    Tom Rowe

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

What would be nice to have is the Pass through of all the wires and control Logic that the ECM has for each PIN and then this would be clear as MUD.. But not having some of that Information it is going to be a little trial and error. The internals for the ECM V-8 are not in any manual so you cannot get all of the pass-through logic only make the basic assumptions.

I haven't really looked for that info since all the electronics are coming out of mine when I do the Tdi conversion.
    Have you tried just getting a 300Tdi Discovery ECM from a breakers?
    You might try MDI(?) Engineering, the people who to the conversion kits for Land Rovers. I know they sell (and do) them for Disco's so they'd likely have the information.
    Tom Rowe

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF