Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series IIA Fuel Filter

Default Series IIA Fuel Filter

Just figured out that my Series IIA does not have a fuel filter in the sediment bowl. Anyone know if that filter can be purchased at a local auto store? (NAPA, O' Reilly)

There is not supposed to be one in there.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    There is not supposed to be one in there.
    Yeh I don't have one.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Yup, there is no filter in the bowl itself. The heavier debris just settles out in it. If you don't already have one get an in line filter. Most people go with the inexpensive disposable type.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Or do you mean the sediment screen (in pic below)? Available online from vendors but I personally have not seen these in the usual auto parts stores but then never asked.
    SCREEN - FUEL PUMP BOWL 2.25L - SERIES IIA & III Model # RNC145:

Yup, the only thing in there is the wire mesh screen. No idea what an "official" one costs, but Michael's craft store sells fine wire mesh I think. I may have seen it in Hobby Lobby.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Thanks for the responses. Took me day and a half to figure out it's just a wire mesh.

Now on to other issues. I noticed the heater and demister blow out air, but it is not hot. Any suggestions on what to pull apart and check?

Check that the heater valve is operating under the bonnet and that it is open. If it is, take the heater matrix out of the heater box and have it boiled out at a radiator shop.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by fbnksrover View Post
    I noticed the heater and demister blow out air, but it is not hot. Any suggestions on what to pull apart and check?
    In Fairbanks, I wouldn't have too high expectations regarding heater performance, even if everything is hunky-dory. I have to dress up in full winter gear (coats, hats, gloves, long-johns, etc.) just for the 30-degree daily commute to work here in NH.

For tepid air, make sure the hot water control valve works, like somebody mentioned. Also check to make sure the heater core air matrix isn't jammed up with squirrel dunnage, that the coolant passages aren't clogged in the heater core and that your blower's "high-speed" setting (and I use that term very loosely) works properly (though you DID mention that it's blowing air, which pretty much eliminates 2 of these things).

OH--also check to see if there's any coolant in the radiator.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

You may want to purchase a radiator muff that covers the grille to stop full flow cold air from going over the radiator. It also helps to run the warmest opening thermostat that you can find when it is cold. I believe it is 84 degrees C. I am running both the "hot" thermostat with a muff totally closed up, and a new heater core with a diesel and around town I do not get what you would call heat. Its only on the interstate that I think my theromstat actually opens. I have heard the the heater that our hosts sell is very good as is a Kodiak if you can find one. I have not gone either route at this point but the Kodiak in my first Rover did actually produce heat while the Smith's heater in my current Rover does not. You may want to think about upgrading your current heater. Before you do too much make sure your current setup is actually getting hot coolant thru it.
    Jim
    Jim