Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about rear door spare carrier

Default Question about rear door spare carrier

I have a 73 S III with the mount for a spare on the rear door (plus mount on the bonnet and behind the front seats). My question is about how robust the rear door is for placing the tire weight there. I also have a defender with the swing away carrier that keeps the weight off the door. The series door seems pretty light weight for the mass of the tire but maybe I am under estimating the engineering. If anyone has experience and a pov I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

You could add a third hinge between the upper and lower hinge. mount near the middle on the galvinized trim piece . I think the defenders have 3 hinges..

For 2 to 3 years I carried my spare on the rear door but the rest of the time it was on the hood. I am currently using a larger tire and find that it restricts the vision out the front a little. I only have 2 hinges on the rear door and it was never a problem. On the hood the spare must be bolted down, for a couple of years I just had it on the lock pin until one day in a quick stop the spare rotated forward on the pin and gave me a scare. To bolt down a larger tire it is necessary to use a spacer under the one end of the clamps, I used a 2 inch long piece of 2 inch X .125 wall square tubing for a 30"x9.5" tire.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by busboy View Post
    ...for a couple of years I just had it on the lock pin until one day in a quick stop the spare rotated forward on the pin and gave me a scare.
    You must have some smooth roads up there!

I had driven around with my factory 16" wheel with a 750 x 16 tire and didn't have any problems, though I'd probably add a 3rd hinge if I was going to put a 235-85-16 mounted on a wolf wheel back there (if it'll even fit the factory door mount).
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

My original rear door had the tire mount and the steel inner frame was definitely stressed and in a couple areas, cracked. I moved the mount up a little and reinforced the frame work. I never got around to adding the third hinge but had no issues. I'm not a fan of it on the rear door or behind the seat. On the bonnet as the Rover Gods intended is my first choice.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

[QUOTE=SafeAirOne;91922]You must have some smooth roads up there!/QUOTE]

I did have a padlock on the lock pin but it just used to rattle around and couldn't really go anywhere but it's much safer bolted down.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360074299.254027.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  58.5 KB
    My door is shredded from the weight and bouncing of the tire over bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf323i View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360074299.254027.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  58.5 KB
    My door is shredded from the weight and bouncing of the tire over bumps.
    That's exactly why the inner frame needs to be reinforced and the tire carrier needs to be mounted to that in a manner that spreads the load out. You can see that someone moved the mount from the original lower location. They probably did nothing other than move it up and that's exactly what will happen.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Thanks much. Exactly what I needed. I was worried about metal fatigue on the door and the picture clears shows it. Wow. I have bigger bfg tires and one on the bonnet. I think I will keep it there. Anyone done anything creative with the rear mount without a tire?
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

I'm hoping to use the holes and parts of the bracket to make a Jerry can mount for mine this summer.