Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gauge panel question

Default Gauge panel question

Here is a pic of a 65 SIIA gauge panel (not mine, I pulled if off the internet. but it is identical to mine with the exception of a bunch of rust & grime).

What goes into the plugs in the upper left?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIIA guage.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	7842

The red plug is hot and the black plug is the ground. LR once made accessories that plugged into the dash, like a work light and they even made an electric tea pot that plugged into it. I purchased the two prong adaptor and use it for my phone charger, a fan, and when off road I plug in my CB radio.
    '73 Series III 88 2.25l Petrol, '06 LR3, '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Helotes, Texas

Here is a picture of the lamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	194884-INSPECTION-LAMP-ASSEMBLY.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	7843
    '73 Series III 88 2.25l Petrol, '06 LR3, '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Helotes, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    The red plug is hot and the black plug is the ground. LR once made accessories that plugged into the dash, like a work light and they even made an electric tea pot that plugged into it. I purchased the two prong adaptor and use it for my phone charger, a fan, and when off road I plug in my CB radio.
    Hi, Manny - did you get the adaptor that our hosts sell? I assume then it allows you to use a standard North American AC double flat prong? By chance could you post a pic of the adaptor? I'm about to pull the trigger on it, since my Samasung phone's battery is so bad...Thanks!
    1965 88 Petrol
    2009 MB C300

I think you may be missing something here, this is a 12v DC connection, not an AC connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
    I think you may be missing something here, this is a 12v DC connection, not an AC connection.
    Got it!
    1965 88 Petrol
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Manny:

I have the work lamp shown in the photo (very handy and durable, by the way), and when I use it I've noticed that the dash plugs heat up. Do you have this problem? Just curious. I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that the wiring will be 43 years old in March....

I wired a fused marine-grade 12V socket under the dash, which I use for phone charger, compressor, etc.

Ted

The 12v sockets are cool, in an original oddball rover way, but having 12V right there, open to shorting out the 40+ yr old wiring on anything just freaks me out. I disconnected the wiring behind the red one and installed a nice fused cig lighter outlet in the side of my blank dash panel. Now I know its capacity, and have lots of things available to use it with.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...et-p-5631.html -this was my best friend when my DD was a D90

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12volt-...k-p-12450.html -here's one for my navigator...

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...o-p-11928.html -Maybe you just cant miss that latest episode??

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...um-p-5899.html -And if you spill your popcorn!

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...er-p-5906.html -pizza party to go

anyway, installing a modern outlet is safer and gives you more options.
    ~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

I have never had the problem with the plug heating up using a work lamp. In fact it is the one that I got from you. I added a plug and about 15' of regular black two wire electrical cord. It works like a champ.
    Jim

Thanks everyone - Since I don't have a vintage worklight, I think I will disconnect the red plug but keep it in the dash for aesthetics. I was already planning to wire up an inconspicuous 12v cig lighter.