Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series IIA Engine Woes

Default Series IIA Engine Woes

Well, finally hit 20 degrees here in Fairbanks, so I took the Rover out for a drive. Hit about 5 miles down the road, and the engine began to lose power on me. Not sure what it could be. Too cold outside? Fuel pump? Any suggestions on where to start?

Could be many things...was the engine dying or coughing? Then perhaps carb icing or bad points...was the motor ok (revs fine) but seemingly slowing down? Perhaps a sticking brake cyl...we need more information to help.

Best,
    Griswald
    71 88

Engine started up fine, no issues. Seemed to lose power as I was shifting through the gears. Not really coughing, more of a sputter and finally a shutter. Every time I stopped, I had no issues restarting the engine. Revs fine.

Okay, after more driving around, it seems like the Rover does fine in reverse or second gear, but when I shift to third, it sputters out.

Sounds like fuel starvaton to me. Fine at low revs, not enough fuel at high revs.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

You may want to check your vacuum hoses. I had this happen to me once and I found one of the hoses right at the carb was just loose enough to make the Rover sputtered once I got into third. Best of luck.
    '73 Series III 88 2.25l Petrol, '06 LR3, '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Helotes, Texas

Just remember that most carburation problems are in the ignition. I would make sure that the points and plugs are good first.

So there you go. You've got the triad of items that make every internal combustion engine go: Fuel, ignition and air. Just check them all and see which one is messing up.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Vacuum hoses appear to be good. Having a hell of a time removing he spark plugs. Tried using the 5/8 spark plug socket, but no luck. Doesn't look to be big enough to turn the plug. Am I using the wrong size?

Had the exact same issue with mine. Bought it from someone who let it sit for 8 years... Sounds like a fuel starvation issue to me also. After putting on a new fuel pump because the p.o. told me it needed one, it still didnt get enough fuel for 3/4th gear (pretty pissed about that but i've heard others talk about the quality of new ones). i installed a generic electric fuel pump and haven't had any issues. I also replaced the rubber fuel line and changed the fuel filters to rule those out before installing the electric pump. good luck!
    1966 Series IIA

Austin, TX