Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Series IIA Engine Woes

You've got plenty of vacuum line left over.

Now remember that I don't have any vacuum advance on my engine when I write: "If the joint uses a compression fitting, just get a tubing cutter, cut the messed-up end off and use an appropriately-sized compression ferrule to make a good seal. If it's a flared tube, just slide the nut onto the tube and flare the fresh end and throw it back together."

Incidentally, if there was a vacuum leak where the tube was broken, not only will your ignition timing be off an higher RPMs, but the mixture could be off and the engine could run poorly even at lower RPMs, depending on where and how the vacuum is sourced on the carb.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Just go to the local auto parts store and get a new vacuum hose. they have it by the roll. Bring in a piece of your old one so they have the correct diameter, and measure the length so you know how much you need. Mine are just push on barbs that the vacuum hose slides onto.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Ahh-- That'd make it easy then. I thought it was a copper line.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I used this chap for my Vacuum Line.
    https://www.britishvacuumunit.com/
    Last edited by Dietersrover; 02-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Ahh-- That'd make it easy then. I thought it was a copper line.
    Sure looked like copper.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

It's definitely copper, and not soft copper. I think that I am going to swithch to a rubber vacuum tubing fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by fbnksrover View Post
    It's definitely copper, and not soft copper. I think that I am going to swithch to a rubber vacuum tubing fabrication.
    Just cut the copper off with about 3/4" sticking out and buy the rubber line as was suggested. It's cheap and can be had anywhere. I may need to be replaced now and then as it dries and cracks it's well worth it.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

If it is a compression/olive fitting which I think it probably is you should be able to buy another olive at a parts store. Many automotive mechanical gauges like oil pressure or diesel fuel pressure use 1/8 inch pipe with an olive for the compression seal.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Okay. So far, I have installed new ignition leads, new ignition coil, new spark plugs, new condenser, new points gap. All gaps have been set properly with a feeler gauge (checked, double checked, and triple checked, and maybe some more). And nothing. When I turn the key to start the ignition, all I get is the whir of the starter motor, so I think it must be electrical, or maybe the charge in the battery is too low. I'm going to charge the battery today. Any other suggestions on what else to look at?

The bendix on your starter may be stuck too. Remove starter, clean and reinstall.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president