Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help on Wings Series II Ideas or Options

Default Looking for help on Wings Series II Ideas or Options

Well I bought a 1961 series II in Nov. as some of you may know. I am looking for another set of front wings before I restore it. My tops are good, front signal panels are dented in and outer skins are so so. I thought I would try to buy a nice used set of wings if anyone has any in there stash for sale. Or buy some NOS front signal panels and try to straighten my outer skins. Unless anyone has and good outer skins for sale. Other option is really not my style but I thought I would see if anyone has used any of these abs plastic skins that our sponsor sells. I am not real interested in using the plastic but if that's my only option if I can not get my skins nice then I might have to. I would rather stay with original parts. Has anyone used these new plastic skins. Any info on them. Any parts offered for sale would be appreciated or info. Thanks Jason

Lol! Unobtanium. There are no front panels anywhere. Maybe you will get lucky an find some wings someday, but in the meantime you'll have to be happy with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Lol! Unobtanium. There are no front panels anywhere. Maybe you will get lucky an find some wings someday, but in the meantime you'll have to be happy with what you have.
    Yeah, you got my last set!!

Just curious is there a demand for series front wings/fenders, the actual outside pieces, is no one making them?
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Is the outside piece for a SIII wing interchangeable with the outside piece for a SII or SIIA wing?

If so, I thought I read somewhere that the defender outside piece would work - maybe on Teri Ann's site. Haven't tried it, but I've also been thinking about it since my right side front panel & outside piece are dented. I was planning on banging them out as straight as I could get them and calling it good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	7841

Try talking to Ike, look on his website Pangolin 4X4 if you don't see what you're looking for call him, he has lots of things that aren't on the website available also.

Ike's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrington View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	7841
    those are fixable

Quote Originally Posted by nantley79 View Post
    If so, I thought I read somewhere that the defender outside piece would work - maybe on Teri Ann's site. Haven't tried it, but I've also been thinking about it since my right side front panel & outside piece are dented. I was planning on banging them out as straight as I could get them and calling it good.
    Probably from my site. My truck has early Defender outer wing panels. The early version doesn't have any holes in the sides. I got them from Rovers Down South. Opps since the legal pit bulls at JLR have become rabid the company has been renamed RDS Parts

Defenders have a larger wheel cutout than the series panels which is great if you plan on going to big tyres and/or doing some suspension work for better wheel articulation. My plan is to eventually go to 35's

Name:	NewWing.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	7845

In the picture you see my truck and a friends truck with stock Series outer wing panel. I had to cut the opening for the Kodiak heater. The tyres on my truck are 33.3" dia mud terrains mounted on 7 inch wide Disco I steel wheels. The truck behind mine has 32's. As you can see LOTS of space for bigger tyres. Also my Donaldson air filter is horizontally mounted to the underside of the wing top. The larger opening allows space for easy changing of the air filter without having to remove the front tyre. And my disc brakes moves the wheel outwards a tad.

The outer wing panel is a bolt on fit. However, the bottom sill panel needs to be cut back as the Defender wheel opening is wider.

Bottom line depends on what is more important to you: a factory stock appearance or additional wheel clearance with the bonus of using genuine LR parts.

I'm happy with the results on my truck and plan to eventually have the rear wheel arches recut to match the shape of the fronts.