Thread: LED replacement bulbs

Default LED replacement bulbs

Does any one know if there are LED bulb replacements for the brake light, turn signal or tail lights available, and, if so, from where? I've seen color appropriate leds available for MGs and thought it might help with making the stop lights brighter. Thanks.

To over come the small brake and tail lights along with the poor backup lights I installed 4 inch LED combo stop/turn/tail and 4 inch 55watt floods. I went with the combo lights because I also wired a trailer tow plug with electric brakes at the same time. You could actually use a 4 inch red and a 4 inch amber if you wanted to keep the independent turn signals. Not a very good pic of the lights as it was supposed to show the tire chains but you get the idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00559.JPG 
Views:	446 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	7872
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

I converted my entire truck (SIII) to LEDs a while back. I bought them on eBay. Much brighter. You'll need to replace the indicator and hazard flasher with one appropriate for LEDs.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Busboy, you have a nice looking rig but I'd like to keep the original lights. Apis, where on eBay did you find the LEDs? In the Parts section?

Just search for 1157 and 1156 in the colors you want.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Busboy, you have a nice looking rig but I'd like to keep the original lights.
    Thanks, and I know it's not everyone's cupa tea that's why I showed a picture. I wanted reliability first, size second, I don't know how others feel but it seems the Landrover doesn't get respect from other drivers, I used to almost get rear ended lots I even installed another set of rear lights mounted to the hard top but when the top is off you lose the extra lights. Going with these 4 inchers solved the problems I was looking to cure and they can be bought almost anywhere in a pinch.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Superbrightled led dot com

I'll second Superbright LEDS's as they seem to have better quality units are there is a lot of crap ou there. For signal, tail and tail/stop bulbs I'd only consider their 45 led 'tower' type 1156 & 1157's. These are very bright and importantly, the 1157's have a sharp difference between the tail and stop intensities. Some of the others range from barely adequate to dim.

I went to mostly led's in the stock housings on my SIII. I left 1 incandescent signal on each side to work the flashers.

I like the idea of bigger stop lights and, if you want to keep close to original, bright led bulbs in the NAS Defender round units are a good combo. Here is mine w/ the NAS Defender signals, I may yet get red lenses and use them for tail/stop:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR rear any.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	7904
    '72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
    '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"

I like that 45 LED tower for brake lights, but may try the 3W high intensity with lens for the other positions.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS