Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for a Series IIA 109 SW

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
    Unfortunately I have the older narrower rims the Teriann has said are obsolete, so I'll have to source new steel rims
    Not necessarily. I have (as well as many other owners) 235/85-16's on stock rover rims and have NEVER lost a tire off the bead, even when aired down. I wouldn't put that tire on a 5" rim but seems to be fine on a 5.5" and 6" rim.
    Last time I looked for a 7.50-16 I found that Pete's tire and oil in Webster could still get them for you. They aren't really obsolete, just not common anymore. That's why I personally wouldn't put that size on. A 235/85 you can get just about anywhere as is the case with any metric size tire.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Not necessarily. I have (as well as many other owners) 235/85-16's on stock rover rims and have NEVER lost a tire off the bead, even when aired down. I wouldn't put that tire on a 5" rim but seems to be fine on a 5.5" and 6" rim.
    Last time I looked for a 7.50-16 I found that Pete's tire and oil in Webster could still get them for you. They aren't really obsolete, just not common anymore. That's why I personally wouldn't put that size on. A 235/85 you can get just about anywhere as is the case with any metric size tire.
    I'll call Pete at home tonight, he's one of my best friends, we've known each other since high school. If they're getting rare, I can have him get me 5 and hold them til I'm ready to install.

The world gets smaller every day.....
    Jason

The world gets smaller every day.....
    I grew up in Webster, remember my Land Rover on Cudworth Rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
    I grew up in Webster, remember my Land Rover on Cudworth Rd?
    I miss it every day I drive to and from work......
    Jason

What people put on their own truck is their own business as far as I'm concerned. But be aware that many reputable tyre shops will not mount a tyre on a rim that is outside the manufacturer's specification. For both safety and liability reasons.

If you get into an accident potentially caused by any sort of tyre or wheel malfunction and get sued an insurance investigator will likely check to see if the tyre size is correct for the wheel & vehicle. If it is out of spec then you may find your insurance unwilling to pay, yourself and the company who sold you the tyres to be in litigation.

A lot rides on your tyres and it never hurts to be within the manufacturer's specifications for safety. A six inch rim would be withing specs for that tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    There is a 6-1/2" wide Defender wheel that fits Series trucks and a 7" wide Discovery I slotted steel wheel that fit Series trucks (what is under my 1960 109).
    How does the offset of the Disco I rims compare with the stock 16" rims. The rims on my IIA have less offset than my buddy's series III 16" rims and I don't want mine to look like a mail truck. I would like more offset and a wider rim.
    1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

I don't often recommend tires, mostly people want to pay way too much for them thinking they are getting a "better" tire, not so you are just getting ripped off. I came across these tires while searching for a good hi speed road tire but would also be good on ice, off road and in the mud, also one that had a decent tread depth. I compared these directly with tires costing much more and I thought these better. I was told that the local phone and internet company was using them on their trucks. My son tried them and couldn't stop raving about how good they were especially on the Northern ice roads, he wore out that set and thought he wanted a more expensive tire so he installed Nitto grapplers costing much more, they didn't even last half as long. These tires are not cheap tires they are made in the US, they are just low cost and I recommend them. Someone I recommended them to is using them on a snowplow truck and loves them.http://www.multimiletires.com/tires/...ication=SUV-LT. Hope no one read this before I corrected the link.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Nice link busboy.. Trailcutter RT 215/85/16. Seems pretty spot on for rover use to me!!
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Default good tires

https://www.treadwright.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    Nice link busboy.. Trailcutter RT 215/85/16. Seems pretty spot on for rover use to me!!
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR