Thread: 2.25 gas tank replacement

Default 2.25 gas tank replacement

1970 IIA 2.25 88" gas
    Waiting on Fedex to deliver my new gas tank. Old one had a pin hole leak on top and could be repaired but the rest of the tank looked rough so I thought I would replace the whole thing.
    Should I coat the outside of the tank with anything to prevent rust? Was thinking about using some rattle can undercoating stuff. thanks pb
    Name:  photo11.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  123.1 KB

Many of the store-bought undercoating products dry out and peel over time, trapping moisture and causing the problem they were meant to solve. IIWY I'd get a can of Waxoyl Hardwax from our hosts: It's self-healing and never dries out. Spray the entire outside of the tank (at least 2 thin coats) and let it set before you install. Then touch up the exposed bottom occasionally.

Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    Many of the store-bought undercoating products dry out and peel over time, trapping moisture and causing the problem they were meant to solve. IIWY I'd get a can of Waxoyl Hardwax from our hosts: It's self-healing and never dries out. Spray the entire outside of the tank (at least 2 thin coats) and let it set before you install. Then touch up the exposed bottom occasionally.

Just MHO.
    Are you talking about the 500ml aerosol can of hardwax? Think one can will be enough, never used this stuff so I don't know how it goes on. Would love to do the tank swap this weekend but I guess waiting for the hardwax is the prudent thing to do.
    Thanks for the info.
    pb

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Mule View Post
    Are you talking about the 500ml aerosol can of hardwax? Think one can will be enough, never used this stuff so I don't know how it goes on. Would love to do the tank swap this weekend but I guess waiting for the hardwax is the prudent thing to do.
    Thanks for the info.
    pb
    I suspect that one can would be plenty. Most of the surface of your tank will never see any road abrasion, so it will be one-and-done except for the lower front, bottom, and a bit of the back. I think Calef (sp?) at RN is the Waxoyl guru - call and ask him and I'm sure he'll set you straight.

A quality (read the more expensive type) of rubberized undercoat works well. NAPA actually has a good house brand that I've used. Stays flexible and holds up well. Just takes forever to dry enough to handle without getting it permanently embedded in your fingernails!

I wouldn't bother with the cheap undercoat though as it's more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather just paint it and be done with it than use the cheap stuff.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Thought of another small item I needed from our hosts so I'll wait and order the waxoyl Monday. Thanks for the heads up on that NAPA stuff, I'll pick up a can and see how they compare.
    Last edited by NC_Mule; 03-02-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling error