Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And the Saga Continues...the Muffler

Default And the Saga Continues...the Muffler

Okay, so as you can see from the photos, my muffler has split. I have no idea how that happened, but there it is. I am assuming that I need a new muffler with tailpipe assembly? Do I need any other pipes? How about the bracket(s)? Tail pipe hangers? It looks like the PO welded the pipes to some type of hanger. Any advice on that? Is this a do it yourself job, or do I need to drive it to the garage?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Rover 102.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	8007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Rover 104.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	8008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Rover 106.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	8009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Rover 108.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	8010

These brackets don't look like the ones in the green book. The pipe from the left hand driver's side does not look like it's attached the way the green book illustrates. What am I about to get myself into?

None of that looks stock. What needs replacing depends on your mechanical ability and your willingness to search for parts that will work. If all the pipes are good leading up to the muffler then just look for a muffler that will fit in that space and make it work. Otherwise, you're probably better off just putting in a new system front to back.

Or just take it to a shop....
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

You can pay for all the hangers, rubber straps, nuts and bolts as well as the pipes and muffler and it will end up costing you a day's work at least. Or, you can go to a local shop and have a stainless steel system made for roughly the same money.
    In my humble opinion the original Rover exhaust is shyte.

Before you have this happen to the new exhaust components, you might want to check to make sure your fuel/air mixture and valve & ignition timing are acceptable and that there are no exhaust leaks upstream. Your muffler has the classic appearance of being blown apart by a backfire through the exhaust system.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I agree that that silencer has blown up because of built up exhaust gases in the can. If you are not familiar with setting the carb and timing have a qualified mechanic set it up before you fix your exhaust system. And I do agree that look less than stock, or oem parts, which is not a problem I have seen more homemade or muffler shop made systems on series trucks, not a big deal. Did you hear a large bang when driving it?

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Your muffler has the classic appearance of being blown apart by a backfire through the exhaust system.
    Or the old banana in the tailpipe trick....
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Your muffler has the classic appearance of being blown apart by a backfire through the exhaust system.
    What a great opportunity to see an exploded view of a muffler's inner workings!

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Or the old banana in the tailpipe trick....
    ...a classic!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I just went through the nutroll of replacing the distributor, spark plugs, wires, and setting the timing. I think the blow out was due to the initial failed attempts at resetting all of that, I just never noticed. I think I'm probably going to replace the entire system with a stock system. Any advice on Pro Line versus original parts? Also, where would I find instructions on replacing the exhaust system? Doesn't look too difficult, but that's the rookie in me talking.

If you can undo nuts, you can replace an exhaust system. there is nothing more than remove and replace. Get some PB Blaster and start spraying the studs on the exhaust manifold flange, buy some brass nuts to replace what you have on there when you reassemble the new exhaust, and use neversieze on the rest of the bolts as they hold up the hangers on the new system. Nothing to it.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.