Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure

Ted,

You don't compare lot numbers?

...I didn't know oil had lot numbers
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW
    Tom
    Some people go nuts about oil. Castrol has a 0w30 Syntec that was green and smelled like gummy bears (still might). Supposedly the elixir of youth for the Audi 1.8T engine. People on the Audiworld site were hoarding it, and sending messages about which Autozone stores had it in stock. They would even post pics of their garage walls lined with bottles of the stuff. The conversation got to the point where people were comparing lot numbers printed on the bottles. Must not have any kids or aging parents!
    That must be that "German Castrol" I was reading about on the oil guy page...
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Oh by the way, I wasn't going to say anything, but I can't help it.

The low oil weights 5W-40, 0W-30 are meant for very tight tolerance engines. i.e. not Land Rover engines. You really don't want to run anything thinner than a 10W-30, unless you are continually running in temps colder than -10 to -20. Match the oil with the engine and with the temp you regularly drive in.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I predict a CSI episode where the killer is caught by the lot number on his motor oil.

Could happen...

Yes, Yorker, it is the "German Castrol" discussed at great length on the oil page.
    It supposedly was all base 3 ester stock (which is best, I am told) as opposed to the 'murrican made motor honey.

Yes, Yorker, it is the "German Castrol" discussed at great length on the oil page.
    It supposedly was all base 3 ester stock (which is best, I am told) as opposed to the 'murrican made motor honey.
    Yep that stuff is supposed to be great oil- I never hunted it down though.

German Castrol FAQ
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post711450

Thin Oil thread:
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post711581
    Last edited by yorker; 06-13-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-8...il-gallon.aspx

I run Amsoil 15-40 (AME) Heavy Duty in my 1995 Audi //S6 20v turbo - since day one. It now has 178,000 miles and the engine sounds and drives like it is brand new. Also, I use Mahle oil filters and 5,000 miles oil changes, which keep it purrrrin'. I use it all year round even in sub-zero weather with no leaks. Since we are an Amsoil dealer, I order it by the case, comes with four easy to pour gallon containers. Less landfill waste.

I plan to swap over my new-to-me 1991 2.1 litre wasserboxer Volkswagen Westfalia to the same oil, it has 149,000 original miles. I've used Mobil 1 15-50W in my older Audi ur-quattros but, sometimes when hot (track tempertures - Lime Rock Park '96) the Mobil 1 just got thin and my oil pressure dropped.

I am seriously contemplating swapping over my 2006 MINI Cooper S from the factory 5-30W Castrol Syntec to Amsoil...

I also ran the 15-40W HD in my ex-1994 Defender 90 NAS soft top. Pulled a Coleman Taos pop-up (and fully laden rig with wife, daughter, stuffed animals, mtn. bikes and all gear) all the way to Colorado nationals and back to Vermont in 2001. Vail Pass was brutal. Better yet, after having the pedal matted for hours coming up hwy 70 to Silverthorne, CO, We then drove south on hwy 9 past Breckenridge, CO over and up and down several Continentai divide passes with the pedal mashed again. Worked awesome.

This oil is da kine.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Some people go nuts about oil. Castrol has a 0w30 Syntec that was green and smelled like gummy bears (still might). ... The conversation got to the point where people were comparing lot numbers printed on the bottles.
    I have a 'stash' of green 0W-30 German Castrol Syntec that I use in my Prodrive Stage 3 Subaru WRX (2.0 turbo running 19 psi of boost). And, yes, you need to have certain lot numbers to ensure that you were getting the green versus the newer gold oil.
    Last edited by jac04; 06-14-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Oh by the way, I wasn't going to say anything, but I can't help it.

The low oil weights 5W-40, 0W-30 are meant for very tight tolerance engines. i.e. not Land Rover engines. You really don't want to run anything thinner than a 10W-30, unless you are continually running in temps colder than -10 to -20. Match the oil with the engine and with the temp you regularly drive in.
    Don't be fooled by the low "W" number. You really need to look at the actual viscosity specs of the oil that you are using. Check out the FAQ link posted by yorker.

Default jac04: OK, I confess...I have a stash, too!

I run it in my chipped '02 A4. Also have a bunch of Belgian made 5w40 Syntec (meets all the fancy VW/Audi specs) that I plan to run in my new (not rebuilt) 2.25 after break-in. Anything to make it last. And no, I will not extend drain intervals. Just want to keep wear to a minimum and get better mileage.
    My new 2.25 engine runs at +/-75psi oil pressure with GTX 10w40 (capillary oil gauge - looks just like the original electric one) and around 50 psi at idle. It will be interesting to see what my oil pressure is in the heat of August after I change over to the Syntec.