Thread: 95 RRC - Noise howling when moving - rear of the vehicle

Default 95 RRC - Noise howling when moving - rear of the vehicle

I am looking at a 95 RRC with 172K miles. The guy is asking $3450 for it. I currently own a series III so I am used to land rover maint. One item has me a little worried - a distict howling that changes pitch with speed but reduces breifly when I lift my foot off of the accelerator. It sounds like a gear mesh issue in the rear end. I crawled under the car and no obvious leaking. Any thoughts? What is a good price for a vehicle like this? It appears to be in great condition and very well maintained.
    Thanks
    AK

Sounds like a worn gear set to me. It may not be leaking because nothing is left to leak out. A fairly easy fix, costing a few hundred dollars for a center section from either a Discovery or a Range Rover, best to change it as a unit to save setting up & adjusting the gear set, The price is a personal call, it's worth only what it's worth to you. Just make an offer in the light that it will need a serious repair.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

That is getting into some high mileage. I wouldn't go more than 2 grand, especially with a potentially large problem. There are several things that can make such a noise...none are cheap.
    The only reason to buy it is that you are aware that these things can have a lot of issues, and are OK with that. It can cost you a lot of green if you aren't a fairly competent wrencher.
    I've had several of them, and know what I'm looking for when considering one for purchase. I would personally never pay more than 4 for one and it would have to be completely rust free and have a good interior and no major mechanical problems if I went that high. My last one I got for 1700, and it has only one major fault...a locked up viscous coupling in the transfer case. That's a zero dollar fix whenever the weather turns warm, as I have a good XC I can use. It has minor rust in a few spots, but it is nowhere near being a rough basket case. Interior nice. So, you can find good ones for not much money.
    Keep an eye on Craigslist in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. People sell them for cheap down there and they aren't rusty.
    In California, they are way overpriced. I see them advertised for 8-15 grand for a truck I wouldn't pay more than 3 for. Kiss a few frogs first. If you are meant to have this particular one, it will come to you.