Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AC Installation Advise - D90 with 2.5TD Engine

I hope customs does not give you fits with the "box in the back".

Nate B
    88 D90 RHD, V8 Present
    84 Defender 110 3 Door RHD Petrol in 2012
    80 Merc 230GE Petrol in 2011
    78 SIII 109" RHD Petrol in 2011
    82 SIII 88" RHD Petrol in 2010
    82 SIII 88" RHD Diesel in 2009
    92 Range Rover - In the 90's
    cuis2000@yahoo.com

Should be ok as long as it is on the manifest. Customs is going to give me fits anyway because it is a Defender. That is how they roll. Would have rather they shipped it DHL or something but beggars can't be choosers. According to my customs broker I have we will be fine with the boxed parts.

Bigger concern is installing the damn thing and the parts. Just going to wait and see what happens. My HS friend with his Turbocharger performance shop did volunteer his machine shop guys if I needed some special fabrication. My welding skills suck - really really suck. I can turn a wrench but with a welding torch - nope.

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

Customs should not care about it being a defender, being 25 years old they should care what it is, especially with a small engine. My last import was a defender and it was no different from the previous Series.

Nate B
    88 D90 RHD, V8 Present
    cuis2000@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by bsjbrown View Post
    Ok living where I do - oppressive Texas Heat. The defender I have purchased from the UK which is to about to arrive is coming with an AC Kit that is being sent in the box from the company I purchased the rover from. It is the kit from Bearmach. My landy is an 88 LHD 2.5 TD and she looks great. Mechanically restored, but not remanufactured. The AC is not being installed in the UK for that reason - I don't want to chance it getting held up in customs. I know the kit is probably for a 300TDI so what additional parts will I need to get to install it. Assuming a new pulley for the compressor to fit the belt and probably an AC Tension Pulley. Need some guidance and advice please.
    Google classic auto AC Kits. There are a lot of AC kits for unique, older cars. Many under the dash units in the $900 to $1500 range. Since no one has anything for me, this is the route I will check into further when she arrives.

Nate B
    88 D90 RHD, V8 Present
    cuis2000@yahoo.com

Well I am good there. Documents are in order and VIN is good - 25th Birthday was Feb 14th, 2013. Which is exciting. Nate - have you had difficulty sourcing parts for your imports? I know the Rover North guys have good selection and have seen others. Lots for 300TDI which is not even supposed to be over here yet as they are not even 21 years old yet to my knowledge - which is funny. But not lots for the 2.5 TD.

Quote Originally Posted by bsjbrown View Post
    Well I am good there. Documents are in order and VIN is good - 25th Birthday was Feb 14th, 2013. Which is exciting. Nate - have you had difficulty sourcing parts for your imports? I know the Rover North guys have good selection and have seen others. Lots for 300TDI which is not even supposed to be over here yet as they are not even 21 years old yet to my knowledge - which is funny. But not lots for the 2.5 TD.
    I had only 1 diesel and no problem with parts from RN and others when they did not have it. The diesel should not require much attention other than filters (RN has all these). Maybe glow plugs eventually but should not be an issue, even if order from UK. With my last 84 110 2.25 petrol, I even ordered some from the UK. Usually had the part within 7 days and the price with shipping was ok. Most expensive part I have found is the front doors for 1984 and later - crazy expensive and too big to ship from UK where they are reasonably priced. Just keep your door bottom dry inside - I have heard a UK trick is to fill with wax.

Nate B
    88 D90 RHD, V8 Present
    cuis2000@yahoo.com

Make sure that wax has a high melting point. . But that shouldn't be a issue with a/c.

Quote Originally Posted by nate6472 View Post
    I had only 1 diesel and no problem with parts from RN and others when they did not have it. The diesel should not require much attention other than filters (RN has all these). Maybe glow plugs eventually but should not be an issue, even if order from UK. With my last 84 110 2.25 petrol, I even ordered some from the UK. Usually had the part within 7 days and the price with shipping was ok. Most expensive part I have found is the front doors for 1984 and later - crazy expensive and too big to ship from UK where they are reasonably priced. Just keep your door bottom dry inside - I have heard a UK trick is to fill with wax.
    Wax? Not worried about keeping them dry here. We are in drought conditions in North Texas and do not see any relief for some time. If I was back in Houston I would be somewhat concerned with the humidity. What type of wax would I use? I have seen some sealants used and found some documents for waterproofing the Defender. May use that.

Quote Originally Posted by ArlowCT View Post
    Make sure that wax has a high melting point. . But that shouldn't be a issue with a/c.
    That is if the AC Kit installs. We shall see when it gets here. I am starting to relax a bit more over the whole issue and realize it will get done. Have friends in low places with machine shops that can help me fabricate what I need to. May take a bit longer than a weekend but the job will get done one way or another.

thank you for posting this as I too would like a/c for the 2.5na,just wondering if the low hp of the 2.5 could/would keep up the a/c with it's lack of power when driving