Thread: 1998 50 th anniversary Discovery....

Default 1998 50 th anniversary Discovery....

Hi I have a chance to buy one of those. Any difference from a ''normal'' discovery? Trying to get info on them but don't find much. Just read that they made 550 of them but the one I have a chance to buy has a golden 50th badge on the dash that say 47 of 50 built. So Whats the truth?

Truck is pretty clean with a dismantle dash from the actual owner to attemp to cure a coolant leak from the heater...It doesn't run.

Don't know Discovery too much. Once fixed could it be more reliable than my 88'' series 3? Better or worse than my Lr2?

Thanks for info..

Martin

Will never be more reliable than your LR2, and it'll be a 4 speed auto so nowhere near as fun as a Ser. III. Probably less reliable than the Series III as well. Likely you'll see different badging or special colors which make it harder to replace anything should you need to.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Reliability of the Electronics .... I can imagine that. My series doesn't have any modern electronics from Lucas and sometimes act up.... Is the ZF trans any good on them??

But I had a Chevy V8 conversion in mind. I saw Mark's 4wd adaptor from Australia on the net and I have a L05 Chevy 350 TBI that I pulled out a 1991 Police pack many years ago on the shelf. I had remove and cleaned the wiring to keep only what runs the engine and Ecu. At that time I did not had own any Rover yet and had planned to built me a 67-68 Pontiac Firebird but it never happend.

Once refresh that engine package would probably eliminate much of the reliability issue of the Disovery? Am I right? Do the ZF trans can take 200-220hp?