Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough acceleration

Default Rough acceleration

I have a 1995 LWB. I was low on gas... Really low. Put about 10 gallons in her. Drove off from the pump and automagically I had super tough acceleration up to 2k rpm then it drives fine. Yesterday I put in a new fuel filter, my oh my the old one was bad. However that did not resolve the issue. The plugs and wires have about 3500 miles on them and looked OK. The fuel pump seemed to be doing it's job above 2k rpms. Any other thoughts or checks? I am going to try a new set of plugs today. Oh yeah, I checked the vacuum lines too. Only one is missing from top of intake manifold.. Not sure if it was ever there. I have a weird vacuum line out of the bottom of the distributor cap that just hangs behind the belt too.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SPH-D710

The weird vac. line on the distributor is the vac. advance line and should be hooked up. This would account for the problem encountered. At higher RPM's the mechanical advance takes over. Oh, this line goes to the intake manifold above the throttle plate.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Rough running on a Rover petrol is 99 times out of 100 a vacuum leak such as yours. Other sources for vacuum leaks are the lines for the charcoal canister and the cruise control/heater controls. The rubber dries out gets stiff and cracks.

Awesome news. Thank you both so much. I will jump on the vac advance line now and trouble shoot the others. Thank you again, I am feeling inspired again to work on this. Next will be the massive exhaust leak and catalytic converters. Thank you.

J

Sent from my SPH-D710

Well... Still seeing the issues. I checked the vacuum lines and fuel pump. Any thoughts back to ignition ? Thinking maybe the Bosch coil. That's looking original. I have 155k on my baby, fwiw.

Sent from my SPH-D710

Hope you used actual test gages for checking these things out, a basic set of pressure and vac. gauges are invaluable. Moving on to another problem area; it may be possible that the ignition module in the distributor is weak. Bosche coils ususally hold up pretty well, but it can be checked with an Volt/Ohm Meter (also invaluable) to be sure it's within spec's. I got tired of the Rover distributor and coil and put in a GM style with the coil in the cap. (But that's another juicy can of worms the novice might not like sorting out.) A Rave Manual is a must when owning one of these, if you don't have the factory service manual. (Rave is available online for free, unlike the shop manual.)

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Roger that on the guages/equipment. I have a full array of tools here and at my inlaws house. Although I have many of the necessary tools I do need guides to follow. I talked to another guy who suggested the TPS as a possible culprit. Sadly this weekend is consisting of kids birthday party's and house work. I will look for the coil specs to compare with my readings. I will also check out the Rave Manual. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Sent Tapa-Talking in my Galaxy.

Maybe you got some bad gas there. If it was full of junk and clogged up the injectors...
    Fortunately the injectors are almost a dime a dozen. Look on ebay for 86-93 Mustang injectors. Racer boys like to take out the stock injectors and install higher lb/hr ones, which do absolutely nothing to help performance. It helps you tho, cz you can pick up a full set of 8 perfectly good Bosch injectors for 20-30 bux.
    Also do the new ign module thing. They can poop out causing all kinds of bother from hard starting to not running to bucking to, well it may be what you need. Go to the junk yard and get the remote one out of an old Disco so that you don't have to yank the dizzy out to change it next time.

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Quote Originally Posted by Poweredge99 View Post
    I talked to another guy who suggested the TPS as a possible culprit.
    Can anyone chime in on symptoms of bad TPS on '95 RRC? I just developed similar low RPM rough-ness after a day of wheeling yesterday, and wondering if that could be culprit. Already check for vacuum leaks and I have replaced the entire ignition system over the past 6 months w/OEM, all the usual suspects (wires, coil, amp...).

Thnx
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

I had this in both my old classic and my current discovery. It's amassing how similar my symtoms were. Changing the tps solved. Check out this link: http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Disco...e.Problem.html

Hope that helps
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"