Thread: motor swap

Default motor swap

my 3.9 has a hole in the block
    i would like to replace it with a MZ 3.0TD. OR a chevy small block.
    anyone have a line on an adaptor plate ? i'll be using my bell housing etc, all in good shape.
    she's a 1990 and owned since new...all in great shape...but for the hole.
    i've taken the body off the frame to make the swap more efficient.
    thanks for any info.
    tom

i've taken the body off the frame to make the swap more efficient.
    Wow, that's a lot of work to do for just an engine swap. How about another 3.9? it'll fit for sure and you don't have to reinvent the entire engineering of the vehicle.
    There's no adapter for the ZF cz the starter is on the right and the diesel is on the left. Or you could scour every UK breaker's yard for a 200 tdi ZF bellhousing from a RRC but, oh yeah, the Brits already did that and took 'em all. You should either replace the entire drivetrain, or put it back to normal. A good used 3.9 is like stupid cheap.

Marks 4wd Adaptors makes the mounts and bellhousing adaptors to put Chevy V8 and V6 engines in Rovers. You need to have an LT230 transfer case to do it. They are NOT cheap though....
    '95 RRC LWB (white)
    '95 RRC LWB (Avalon Blue) - sold
    '95 RRC LWB parts truck ready and waiting to donate to the cause...

thanks for the info,
    what year & model does the LT230 transfer case come from?

If I recall correctly, the earlier RRCs had them and some (not all) years of the Discovery's. I know the '95 RRC LWB have the Borg Warner tcase which has a viscous clutch. One of the advantages of the LT230 is that you get a center diff lock. I am sure other knowledgeable sources can chime in with the details.
    '95 RRC LWB (white)
    '95 RRC LWB (Avalon Blue) - sold
    '95 RRC LWB parts truck ready and waiting to donate to the cause...