Thread: Electrical Short after battery replacement

Default Electrical Short after battery replacement

This is a new one. I have a 95 RR classic. I took the battery out of the vehicle and charged it over night. Prior to removing the battery the vehicle was driven about 15 miles (the most it has been driven in the past 6 months). This morning, I replaced the battery. When I connected the ground the horn blew continuously and the front wipers activated even though the switch is in the off position. The vehicle also will not start. I thought it was likely an alarm issue and tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door. Nothing seems to work. I've pulled the horn fuse while experimenting to prevent any damage. Any ideas? Is there a circuit that connects the horn and the wipers?

Update- I now believe the issue is battery related. I tried a different battery and was able to start it with no horn, no wiper issues. The charging light is now on and the tach is not working. Is this an alternator issue? I read that the tach is attached to the alternator.

No tach is the classic Alternator failed sign.

update- In addition to the tach not working, the headlights, radio, seats (and Im sure a few other things) are no longer working. Does this sound like the multi function unit?

It sounds like you fried some of the fusible links. Absolute total pain in the neck to repair. They are all ganged together there at the battery Pos connection. You have to get some fusible link wire and open up the place where they are all crimped together then take out the bad and crim in the new. I think there are two sizes of wire depending on the circuit. Pretty much anything that has an orange lead (and whatever tracer color too, so orange/white, orange/yellow, etc) come from the fusible links. Have fun!

Thank you. I'll check that out. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe my 95 has the "newer style" fusible links in the under hood fuse box, or is there a bundle in addition to those?

Thank you again.

Does the RRC have an under bonnet alarm? My Disco does and until I disabled it, it would sound when the bonnet was up if I replaced the battery, or jump started it, unless I held the alarm switch down when he got power again.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Update- I found two fusible that had blown. I replaced those and most of the electrical systems are back. I need to go through the rest of the fuses to see if I can get the radio back. Thank you everyone for your help!!!