Thread: Turn Signal on the blink (or not)

Default Turn Signal on the blink (or not)

Hello...
    First post on the weird new BBS layout...oooo.
    Anyhow, my '73 Series III, the passenger side turn signals front and rear are working fine, but the drivers side are not "blinking" and only the front light even lights up. I don't have a multimeter so I can't test to see if power is getting to the rear light...I've changed the bulb multiple times..no change. Could it be the socket? It was rather corroded but I cleaned it up a good bit, and still no luck. Any other ideas?

Chris

First, get a multimeter. They're cheap and you're going to need one.

It definitely could be the socket, especially if you've already noticed it is corroded. It could also be the wiring leading to the socket. I've had both happen to me, one place where a new socket fixed things and another where I had to run new wiring to make things work.

Default Solved...

Well it turned out one of the connections under the rear of the truck was loose/corroded or something. The act of fiddling with them with the test light seems to have fixed the problem...that being said, liberal amounts of WD-40 will now be applied to keep this from happening again.

Chris

Great, glad you found it. But just FYI, WD-40 is not a solution for electrical properties. It's handy stuff, but often gets misued. Did you know the "WD" stands for "water displacement"? That's what it was originally meant for.

For cleaning and preserving electrical contacts you want something like Deoxit from Caig:

http://www.deoxit.com/