Thread: WANTED TO BUY: Series III Stage One project

Default WANTED TO BUY: Series III Stage One project

I've seen a couple come and go, but I am interested in finding a stage 1 v8 rover. It doesn't need to be perfect... But decent frame and bulkhead/door frames is very much a plus. I'm not worried about mechanical or body work, as I would like to restore one to my own specs.

I'm located in MA, and will travel locally (New England area) to take a looksee. Very very motivated to find one.

Thanks!
    -Mike
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    Resident Stuped Hillbilly
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

Watch this space....

I was just chatting with a fellow in the UK who has a Stage One that he is looking to move....
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Intriguing...
    However I've never imported a vehicle before, so I'm unsure of the incurred costs and red tape involved in doing so. Finding something stateside might be preferred. But who knows

Hi mike, harry from England with a 1982 109 V8 Stage 1 that l am looking to maybe export. Thank you firemanshort for directing me here.
    Please see my previous posts on the Stage 1 website - the full history of the vehicle is on there - what l have done to it plus photos.
    please have a read, if your intested and feel that 'Kate' might be the right truck for you, please get in touch.

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB3/vi....php?f=2&t=965

Land Rover Series 3 109 V8 Stage 1 Van
    3.5 ltr V8
    3 Door Van style. Full length canvas roof with military roll bar.
    MOT till March, TAX till September

Work l have done to the truck:
    Replaced v8 engine – (bearings had gone in old one) still a 3.5ltr Rover V8
    Overhauled Stromberg carbs
    Replaced all leaf springs with parabolic springs- rears are Chris Perfect springs
    Poly bushed chassis
    New ES3000 pro-comp shock absorbers all round, new steering dampener
    4 new modular rims with Mud terrains
    new full length tilt with military roll bar. Canvas has just been Fabsil'ed for the winter
    Replaced the two rear spring hanger out riggers and welding to the rear cross member
    Overhaul of brakes – new servo and master cylinder. New wheel cylinders and brake shoes at each wheel. New copper brake lines made up to each wheel with goodridge braded hoses.
    New clutch slave and master cylinder
    Replaced fuel tank
    Electric fan and thermostat kit fitted (XEng kit) with manual switch off
    Complete fluid change – engine, gear box and axles
    Rear axle over hauled and painted.
    Chassis wire brushed and painted.
    New door tops- sprayed black
    Installed Tim gauge rev counter and voltmeter
    Installed cubby box
    New battery box
    New passenger floor well.
    Replaced front lights and new bowls
    New vacuum diff-lock actuator and switch – diff lock works perfectly (and light too)
    Rear prop painted and new joints fitted
    Radiator over hauled and painted

Extras with vehicle:
    Spare steering relay – brand new- to be fitted when the original finally fails
    Full LPG gas tank. Used to be fitted but currently in the process of removing the kit
    Tubular manifolds with Y-section to be fitted.
    Southdown snorkel kit – never fitted
    2 no 3 man bench seats with cushions
    Recovery straps and shackles
    Black modular rim – spare tyre had been slashed
    Spare wheel
    Wheel chocks – yellow – same as used to chock arctic trailers

Body – very good condition, only one smallish dent on front right corner of wing.
    Bulkhead great with no rust.
    Chassie good. (original) has been patched.
    LT95 gearbox is currently jumping out of low range currently working on it to stop this happening.
    Drives amazingly well for a series vehicle, sounds awesome, brilliant off-road with great traction and supple suspension

Hey Harry.
    Thanks for the response, and I apologize for the time it took me to reply...
    That's an awefully nice rig you have, and were I located in the uk I would be more than interested. I'm not sure about importing however, and if possible would like to find one state side even if it is in "needs quite a bit of work" condition

Out of curiosity, how much are you asking for the truck?
    Thanks again.
    -Mike

Hi,
    Thinking about importing a car to the US?
    What you need to know is that the car must be original. Customs explains it as it must be fundamentally an original vehicle and 25 yrs or older. (they will check VIN and engine # etc.) Obviously you need to ship from wherever to the US, you will have to file with the EPA and the Customs and pay duties etc. What can happen here? One example: The car will be assessed by customs as either a pickup or SUV, the import duty is 25% or 2.5% of what customs think it is worth. (cost me once almost 2k extra on a 1980 '88). As far as shipping costs are concerned I often read one can ship and have a car delivered in front of your house for $1300 or so, believe me, not going to happen! Do your homework or have it done for you.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. That's why I'd be more so interested in one state side. Even if it's in "meh" condition... I'm no stranger to back yard mechanicing

Im not sure what the policy is for topic bumping, but I am still in the market...
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    Resident Stuped Hillbilly
    www.stupedhillbilly.com