Thread: Ignition Coil Options

Default Ignition Coil Options

I have gone through 2 of the Lucas Coils in the past 10 years. Maybe this is normal or there is some other issue with my ignition system, I'm not sure. I am thinking I will try my luck with a non-Lucas coil. I am really hoping to find something that I can pick up at the local parts store. If I go with a different coil, do you know if I will need to re-gap the plugs? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good coil that I can get locally?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much any high quality (Brand Name) coil will work. Just be sure they sell you a "Points" coil and not an "Electronic Ign" coil. I'm using an Accel high performance, high voltage on mine. No changes should be needed in either point or plug gap.

'96 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Careful--all coils aren't the same. The primary windings on different coils have different resistances built in. Find out what the correct ohm value of the primary circuit should be for the engine and get the correct coil, lest you begin having other ignition problems (overheating/melted coil, burned ignition points, etc.) as a result of using the wrong coil.

Check the posts by 'Bubbas Ignition' for some good information on coils here: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21781
    Last edited by SafeAirOne; 10-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

So does anyone know the proper resistance for the 2.25 set up?

Yup, the wrong coil can cause problems. I think the rover ignition system is a 3 ohm coil. I bought one from NAPA in a snow storm some 15 years ago and it's still working well. (knock on wood)

That same snow storm is when I decided to ditch the stupid generator too! Lights on, both wiper motors and heat blasting = bad mojo!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    That same snow storm is when I decided to ditch the stupid generator too! Lights on, both wiper motors and heat blasting = bad mojo!
    Best upgrade, IMO.
    '67 sIIa 88

That and comfy seats.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Napa model 905 is what I am running with standard dizzy and points. It is a 12V coil that says "no external resistor required" printed on the side.

The part number on the box says it is napa part number IC64.

I had the same issue w/ new Lucas coils on my Tr6 and I went to Bosch coils on the toys. The Bosch "Blue" coil is correct for the Series, but not all Blue coils are the same, apparently Bosch may have several versions or suppliers. Pegasus Racing has the tried-n-true classic ones. Nice setup w/ a Pertronix.
    '72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
    '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"