Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Introduction and some general questions.

Quote Originally Posted by copedog View Post
    Finally got time to stop and see the rover again. Here are the pics:
    It's been a while. What is the purpose of these pics? Don't want to have to re-read the whole thread again...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

^^^ Feed back on missing parts and general comments for a newbie looking to purchase first rover.

Ahh.

Well I suspect the gearshift lever knob isn't original.

Of course there's the door bottom galvanized cappings that are absent, but you know about that.

Other than that, it looks pretty normal to me.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Everything looks pretty straightforward to me. Usually a big red flag for me is when the lug nuts, drive flanges, valve stems, and rims are all slap dash painted the same color, to me that indicates a quick and dirty cosmetic touch up and makes me investigate the rest of the truck much more closely. In one of your pictures the bolts for the tub to the frame are missing, kind of odd, and the hole in the frame near the steering box is...unique. From your comprehensive set of pictures though, it appears as if its very solid otherwise.
    What is the seller asking?
    -Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Not unusual overall for a 65 2a driver. Few parts here and there are odd (green skull shift ball!, weird lighting set up) but just needs some TLC and as mentioned... the Green Bible. Shift lever is non 65, but they break all the time (usually right at the base and when your not near home) For $5K probably a go in my opinion, but some work ahead.

Looks like one of those British "restorations" that got shipped over here by someone who didn't know what to look for. Someone painted EVERYTHING that sand color. Like jeez buy a roll of masking tape for crissakes. Ditto the white top and wheels. At least the entire undercarriage was not hosed black with undercoating snot or that Waxoyl schmidt.
    Sorta like buying a dolled up roller that MAY have a crapload of troubles. Or it may not. You gotta ask why it's for sale and what it needs. It has a lot of random holes that have been drilled in it over the years.
    I can guess by the Parabolic springs and the 4 headlights that this has been treated to some of the more popular modifications over the years. Putting the late wings on with the extra headlights was at one time the "thing". Unfortunately, the old wings were often forgotten about and mislaid or trashed. You'll have a heart attack when you find out how much a good set of original 2A wings cost these days...if you can even find any.....
    If it were me I would make an offer based on the 10-12 grand it will take to bring it into the modern world. A bare-bones version like that one won't bring a whole ton of money after it's done, so don't buy with your heart, buy with your head...

Looks like a good solid foundation to have some fun with. Given what other series trucks are going for the asking price of 5K probably isn't too unreasonable.

Get a GOOD look at that frame and bulkhead and do a compression test on the engine.

And I, for one, like the green skull shift knob. If you want to get rid of it let me know!
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

My plan is to get it reliable mechanically, then use it. Not really looking to do a full restore.

If I get it, look for more advise requests from me.

Scott

Picked up this rover on Saturday after the seller and I agreed on a price.

I'm sure I'll be looking for advise here soon.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Scott