Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling

Default Stalling

Last Friday I took the day off so I could go and get the Rover registered and tagged in the state of Florida. I eventually made it to the Department of Motor Vehicles only after stalling out once on the way. Call to AAA revealed that it wasn’t the battery but more than likely the fuel pump or the operator.

On the way home I stalled out two more times (both on busy streets) and was pushed into a gas station the first time and pulled by a guy with a F350 and a two rope the 2nd time. I called AAA again and had the truck towed home.

The next day I tempted fate again and took the dogs to the dog park with my wife no more than 2 miles away. On the way back – it stalled and I was towed again by a good Samaritan with an F550 this time ($167 to fill up per the owner) to a local parking lot. My wife took the dogs and started the 2 mile walk home leaving me in the parking lolt. Twenty minutes later starts up it starts up again and I nurse it down the street trying not to stop and pick up my wife on the side of the road with the dogs and pray that I don’t stall out on the way home.

I think I’m the culprit – I pull the choke out all the way to get the truck started and generally push it in half way after I’ve been down the road a few minutes. Sometimes I make the mistake of pushing it in to far and I think that is what is calling the stalling.

Is that a logical assumption?

Also, my Max speed is 40mph period – is it worth rebuilding the weber carb to see if that helps? Also I may have screwed up by putting too much oil in the air filter. I mistakenly put oil in the middle part of the bottom part of the filter not just in the outside area. Would this also be causing a problem? Any thoughts appreciated.

You should be able to push the choke all the way in once the truck is warmed up without it being a problem.

Max speed should not be 40 mph. I think that most Rover owners will tell you that their truck is happiest at 40 - 45 but will go 65 if pushed.

My brother once had an issue with his mechanical fuel pump being completely gummed up to the point that it would barely pump - it would pump just fine for idling and starting off down the road but not enough to drive very far. I would see how well the pump is pumping.

Also when this stalling happens I would also see what your spark is like. Folks have had issues with their coil/condensor not working when it is hot.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    You should be able to push the choke all the way in once the truck is warmed up without it being a problem. (Well that solves one of my concerns..._)

Max speed should not be 40 mph. I think that most Rover owners will tell you that their truck is happiest at 40 - 45 but will go 65 if pushed. (Good to know..)

My brother once had an issue with his mechanical fuel pump being completely gummed up to the point that it would barely pump - it would pump just fine for idling and starting off down the road but not enough to drive very far. I would see how well the pump is pumping.

Also when this stalling happens I would also see what your spark is like. Folks have had issues with their coil/condensor not working when it is hot.
    All good points - anyone know where I can find a replacement fuel pump cheap? Don't have the biggest budget and have a lot to do. The spark plugs and distributor are brand new and put in by a land rover mechanic in the UK before it was shipped over - so that shouldn't be the issue but I will check them this weekend. I must admit I wish there was a tachometer on this think so I could see the RPMs and figure out what the RPMs should be when it is at idle properly.

Thanks for the response.

fuel pumps for this truck are cheap, check out hosts, about 30 or so around there,

Could be lots of things, all of which are probably limiting fuel to the engine. Carb possibly with partially block jets, fuel filter or fuel line blocked, bad fuel pump as mentioned. Also take a look at the fuel pick up in the tank for blockage. As for the air cleaner, try running it without the filter hooked up and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers and KTF,

Rob

I'd suggest a simple tune up to start, check the air filter, points, all of that. When I brought mine home last year it would stall out because of vapor lock. Theres a bunch of threads here for that. It should go faster even if happiest at 45 like mine. Check/ replace the fuel filter too.

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

You could also wire up a temporary electric fuel pump - you can get one of those pretty cheap - though make sure it isn't high pressure.
    1969 109 P-UP

I would always start simple, my condenser was bad and had caused stalling/dying.
    1996 Discovery SE7 5spd -SOLD
    1962 Series 2a 88"

I also agree with Sleam - do a tuneup before you dive into additional parts and costs.
    1969 109 P-UP

was the gas cap repaced? I replaced the cap on my SIII and started having the same symptoms. The newer caps are sealed and do not allow air into the tank. Next time it happens remove your cap and see if it under vacuum, you will hear it.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT