Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stalling

The culprit too much oil in the air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I need a new radiator. Any suggestions on alloy vs original?

Too much oil in the air filter.... change to a K+N! Radiator relation to this????? If you are replacing the radiator Stock is fine, consider a thermostatic fan along with it.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by moodhair View Post
    The culprit too much oil in the air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I need a new radiator. Any suggestions on alloy vs original?
    Moodhair - I have recently experienced very similar issues on my SIII. I read your post and a light bulb went off. The issue only started after I took the air cleaner apart, cleaned it, and refilled it with oil (including the inner circle at the base of the casing). How did you determine your issue was the air filter? Also, how do you know you now need a new radiator? Funny, I thought the air cleaner would be the most basic foolproof work I would do on my Rover but I (ie. fool) may have proved it otherwise

Default Stalling

Quote Originally Posted by Faulkner34 View Post
    Moodhair - I have recently experienced very similar issues on my SIII. I read your post and a light bulb went off. The issue only started after I took the air cleaner apart, cleaned it, and refilled it with oil (including the inner circle at the base of the casing). How did you determine your issue was the air filter? Also, how do you know you now need a new radiator? Funny, I thought the air cleaner would be the most basic foolproof work I would do on my Rover but I (ie. fool) may have proved it otherwise
    I made the mistake of putting oil in the middle of the air filter as well - it just needs to go on the outside of the round vessel in the filter. Once it was cleaned out it works fine - no more stalling.

The radiatir was a garage telling me I needed one, which was odd considering mine isn't leaking anywhere. I picked up a bottle of "stop Leak" the copper version and put half in the radiator per the instructions just in case there is a leak somewhere,=. So far no issues and I drove it farther last week (20+ miles) with no issues. Still can't get it to go past 50 though.

50 is pretty good with no overdrive, but it should go faster (In my experience 1969 88") what size tires are you running? Your engine might just be very tired and down on compression/power. could be a lot of things. gotta be methodical, go down the list and check one thing at a time.
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Quote Originally Posted by moodhair View Post
    The radiatir was a garage telling me I needed one, which was odd considering mine isn't leaking anywhere. I picked up a bottle of "stop Leak" the copper version and put half in the radiator per the instructions just in case there is a leak somewhere,=. So far no issues and I drove it farther last week (20+ miles) with no issues. Still can't get it to go past 50 though.
    Then you probably don't need one. Someone wants your bucks. On the other hand a good high pressure flushing out and radiator rodding is not going cause any problems and your engine will love you for it.

Should be getting more than 50m/hr. Tune up, as already suggested.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit