Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Series Air filter upgrade

Default Series Air filter upgrade

Does anyone know if K&N make a series truck air filter replacement for the Oil Bath? Are there any other makes that do the same? Any modifications needed to your carb. after doing so?

K&N air filters are not good at filtering air. Oil bath air filters are far superior IMHO.
    1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

Could not agree more with you. That is why I have been running an oil bath for the 7500 miles that my series 2a has been on the road. But, I am looking to get a little more breathing from the engine, and considered dumping the filter, I have a stock exhaust and do not know how much more umph it will add. Perhaps I will just stay with what I have.

"Umph" and a 2.25 are incompatible. That's just the way it is.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Good one Safe Air one. I am well aware of the slowness, time stops factor of series driving. I think I will keep it as is, plus I love the vintage look when you show someone your engine.

I have used K+N filters on many vehicles and find they filter well and improve air flow. You must clean them more frequently if they are used off road in very dirty conditions, but this is easy. If severe conditions are anticipated, put the oil bath back on temporarily, easy. Every car or truck I have put a K+N on has had a noticeable improvement in performance, even the 2.25. This is especially true if you are using a carb that increases intake volume.

Cheers,
    Rob

I have a K&N on my SIII. There was a noticeable improvement in top speed and acceleration when I ditched the oil bath. Mine wasn't for any particular application. I just looked through the K&N catalog until I found one with the right inlet diameter and height.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

I went OEM and ordered a snorkel and oil bath to replace my filter element. The regular oil bath really restricts airflow where as the snorkel lets more air in with the high quality filtration we expect.
    1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    I have a K&N on my SIII. There was a noticeable improvement in top speed and acceleration when I ditched the oil bath. Mine wasn't for any particular application. I just looked through the K&N catalog until I found one with the right inlet diameter and height.
    What model did you purchase?
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
    I went OEM and ordered a snorkel and oil bath to replace my filter element. The regular oil bath really restricts airflow where as the snorkel lets more air in with the high quality filtration we expect.
    Fuzzy math?

The snorkel tubing and elbows add even more restriction.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS