Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Series Air filter upgrade

K&N filters are used by off road racers who rebuild their engines between races but are otherwise not the best filter to use for off road driving where the dust levels are high. The stock Series filters are a lot better for clearing dust out of the intake air.

If you want the best of both and are willing to do the work you can do a K&N on pavement and switch back to the stock filter when you leave the pavement.

The K&N fits best on the end of the stock system's steel elbow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K&Nseries.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	8929

If you want the best solution look to see what commercial earth moving equipment and tractors are using then find something with the same air requirements as your engine that can be made to fit.

My V8 powered truck uses a Donaldson paper air filter with a prefilter in front of it. All chosen to meet the airflow requirements of my engine.

Name:	NewWing.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	8930

You can use the formula below to find out how much air your need and choose a filter or filter & prefilter that operates in that range.

Name:	cfmFormula.gif 
Views:	318 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	8931

TeriAnn,

Your pic of the K+N on the steel elbow is exactly how I have used on two series trucks. My current one is on my 69 Bug Eye with a 34ICH. I agree that on extremely dirty talcum like dust, the oil bath is good, but for most conditions and certainly on road, the K+N is excellent.

Rob

thanks for the replies. I had a K&N on my Defender, so I was used to taking it out occasionally and washing and oiling it. I agree the oil bath works best with real dirty condition, I am looking to improve on road, and pulling a trailer performance.

I used to run what TerriAnn posted, that EXACT same setup.

The air filter wasn't big enough once I went with a Rochester. I ended up with a whatever cone filter from Pep Boys. Still cover it in the K&N oil.

No problems and everything looks clean on the inside of the elbow and carb. That said, we don't have fine talc dust here in the southeast. Just normal people dust. After a couple off roading trips, the filter does need to be pulled and cleaned but that isn't a big deal.

Is the oil bath really that restrictive? Its a big hose going to a big canister, with some steel wool in it, then around a bend (close to some oil) and through 360degrees of louvers.

You guys sure this isn't the fabled K&N placebo effect -guaranteed you think you just made 10HP or your money back?
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

All I know is with the oil bath, my truck couldn't do 70 mph. With the K&N and no other changes, it will go faster than 70 mph. The "it'll wear the engine out" sentiment hasn't been my experience. I've had them on a number of street and race cars for years. When properly oiled, there is no appreciable increased wear. An old English engine with 80K or 100K miles is going to need a rebuild regardless of the air filter fitted.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    All I know is with the oil bath, my truck couldn't do 70 mph. With the K&N and no other changes, it will go faster than 70 mph.
    You do realize of course that with stock gears, Suffix C or later transfercase & 32 inch dia tyres you are turning 4000 RPM at 70 MPH. An earlier transfercase or smaller tyres and you are revving higher.

Default air resistance

every 90 degree bend in the air intake is the equivelant of 10ft of straight pipe. the snorkle is for dusty conditions, it is more restrictive than the oil bath. the LR engine works find with the K&N filter, we are talking about an almost tractor engine.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    You do realize of course that with stock gears, Suffix C or later transfercase & 32 inch dia tyres you are turning 4000 RPM at 70 MPH. An earlier transfercase or smaller tyres and you are revving higher.
    What's wrong with 4000rpm? Been cruising at that engine speed for nearly 40 years. So far so good. If 4K scares you, you should hear 6K or 7K. Before retirement, my MGA (three main bearings and all) would see those speeds. I wouldn't spin the Rover that fast; there's no need, but there's nothing wrong with 4K. I have 30" tires and an OD, btw.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Which is why these trucks need overdrive to navigate todays insane roads!.
    Cheers,
    Rob
    69 series2a Bug Eye with Fairey OD