Thread: What is a dual braking system

Default What is a dual braking system

My IIA was towed to the shop today after leaving me stranded on the way to work (no big complaints, nice excuse to work from home). In talking with the mechanic, he mentioned that mine has two braking systems so the brakes don't give-out when climbing steep hills. In reading the Haynes manual, I see it mentioned "The Series IIA and III have the option of a dual braking system with servo assistance."

Could somebody explain what that means?

Thanks.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

It means you have 2 break circuits. One for the front wheels, and one for the rear wheels. They are independent of each other. If one breaks, the other will continue to work until you completely run out of break fluid.

If true, you will have a brake master cylinder with two separate brake chambers, one runs the front the other runs the rear. Look at your brake master cylinder, you should see two separate lines coming off of it. The older ones only have one line coming off the brake master cyl.

Stomper, fixed it for you!

It means you have 2 brake circuits. One for the front wheels, and one for the rear wheels. They are independent of each other. If one breaks, the other will continue to work until you completely run out of brake fluid.
    1960 "bitsa" 88--Ignotus
    1960 109, 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

it breaks the braking system into two sides, so if your brakes break you can still brake so you don't break your neck.

servo assistance allows the engine vacuum to assist your leg in applying pressure. makes a huge difference.
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

There's always a teacher in the group! That's what I get for trying to type out a response on my phone. Damn spell check!
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Stomper, don't give up so easily. I alway try to but in a mis-spelled word ot two, for those who get a kick out of finding them.
    It costs nothing but gives them happiness. Most of us are looking for info and not worrying about spelling or syntex (Or is that syntax?)

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Single circuit (older CB type)

Dual circuit

Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF