Thread: How do you know if you have steering lock?

Default How do you know if you have steering lock?

Morning. I believe the previous owner installed a replacement ignition and choke in my Series III (I am certain about the choke, but not certain on the ignition). Looking to replace the existing choke with the correct part for a '74, but I am not sure what I should be purchasing. I have seen Series III chokes advertised as "for trucks with steering lock" - I have no idea if this applies to my vehicle or not. Can someone please provide guidance? Here are a couple of pics of the ignition and choke currently in the vehicle. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131005_104521_292.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	8951

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131005_104508_888.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	8950
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~ Corey

1974 Series III RHD SWB
    2003 Freelander

My '73 UK spec 109 had a factory steering lock (though it never has worked). If you remove the ignition assembly from the steering column, there'll be a slot in the top of the column that an elongated pin fits in to lock the steering shaft. Like this:

I THINK non-steering lock ones look different than this externally.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

My '76 SIII non-NADA 109 has an locking ignition switch like Mark's. I'm pretty sure (?) the ones that have the key in the steering column are all locking ones. My choke pull is in the dash and not on the column at the switch like yours, and there is no provision for it, unlike yours. Oddly my '95 R.R.C. has a similar switch to Mark's '73 and my '76, using the same type key.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S