Thread: Series III value question

Default Series III value question

Hi all,
    I've come across a SIII for sale locally that I'll be looking at in a couple of days and may make an offer on, and was wondering what would be a reasonable offer.
    Some details:
    1973 88 Hardtop 2.25 gas 4 speed (no overdrive)
    Original owners (now in their 80's)
    Underside oiled every years until a few years ago. Stored in barn or shed. Frame is apparently excellent.
    Original green paint apparently still looks excellent, only a couple of minor dents.
    All original truck, even original tires!!
    About 20,000 miles on it.
    Owners have been using it mostly to drive on lanes in their large wooded property.
    The truck has been started at least twice a year, to ensure that the cooling system was working properly.
    Last year, the starter failed. Then the alternator was fried through improper boosting.
    Brakes have failed some years ago, and owners have been using handbrake to stop (only driven on the property).
    Clutch pedal has been sticking last few years (pushrod or cylinders failing?)
    Exhaust system replaced some years ago.

So this sounds like a mostly all-original, unmolested, low mileage SIII 88. Likely needs complete brake system overhaul, probably axle seals, tune-up, and various other mechanical refurbishment tasks (tires, for sure!).

Assuming cosmetic condition is as nice as it sounds, and that chassis and bulkhead are solid, what would be a reasonable value for such a vehicle? It's in Canada so the value here may be a bit different than the US. The gentleman was offered around $4500 a few months ago and refused.

Thank you.

He should have taken that $4500 and run straight to the bank.
    If you want to make it safe and reliable for the road, you are going to have to redo all the systems on this truck. Replace all the rubber( tires belts hoses door weatherstripping etc), all the fluids, complete tune up, new starter and alternator, clutch master and slave cylinders, release bearing pressure plate, blah blah blah. Plan on another several thousand for all that.

My opinion, like o2 is that you might need a couple grand to have that truck running right.....perhaps more with tires. It certainly sounds worthy, but I would likely not drop more than $5500ish on the purchase price. That would only be if it's rust free, good chassis, bulkhead, etc...........Anything other than what you listed above and I would be working backwards on my number.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    He should have taken that $4500 and run straight to the bank.
    If you want to make it safe and reliable for the road, you are going to have to redo all the systems on this truck. Replace all the rubber( tires belts hoses door weatherstripping etc), all the fluids, complete tune up, new starter and alternator, clutch master and slave cylinders, release bearing pressure plate, blah blah blah. Plan on another several thousand for all that.
    Yeah, I figured it would take thousands to get this girl road-safe and reliable, but didn't know if a one-owner somewhat-pampered but mechanically neglected Series III would be worth much.
    The person who offered the money for it has apparently been inquiring for years about it, and the owner (who is an elderly man) has not wanted to sell, but given failing health had finally realized that he needs to part with it. He's been told by someone who restores old british cars that a Series Land-Rover in that cosmetic condition is worth a LOT of money, so he is waiting for his price (whatever that is). Some sentimental value attached, no doubt. Anyway, I might go look at it just to satisfy my curiosity but as you say it's probably not worth it in the end, even if the frame is solid and the paint is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
    My opinion, like o2 is that you might need a couple grand to have that truck running right.....perhaps more with tires. It certainly sounds worthy, but I would likely not drop more than $5500ish on the purchase price. That would only be if it's rust free, good chassis, bulkhead, etc...........Anything other than what you listed above and I would be working backwards on my number.
    THanks, appreciate your input. Kind of hard to assess the drivetrain given the engine does not start or run. If the mileage is legit then it's only been used on the man's property for 40 years. He said that every summer he would spray used engine oil all over underneath on a hot day, and that's how he's preserved the chassis and frame from rust. Given his late age, I wonder how many years ago any such treatment was done on it, or any mechanical attention... Anyway, should be interesting to look at, and an interesting man to meet.

Up until a few weeks ago, I had considered an early 60's SII which has been rebuilt (new rear crossmember, frame-up rebuild, all new parts, new paint in and out). THe price was over $7000 which I balked at, but even if I could get this SIII for $5000, it would end up costing me way more than $7000 to get it road-worthy and all sorted out. So it's back to "buying restored or restore it yourself" dilemma...

Cheers.

I have met Rover owners who hang on to an old 88 or 109 till their price comes along, and sometimes it does. I agree that a few thousand at least to be road safe, tires, etc. I bought a rat that needed everything, for 3K 15 years ago. (1965 2a. ex mod.) but it was the style and car I wanted. Play the game, sound modestly interested and state the facts, scratch your chin and low ball him. If there are not any other takers, he may bite. Good luck. cheers.

Someone like this gentleman, who has had the truck for many years, May also be looking for the "right" home for the truck. Someone who will love it and cherish it like himself. Do not underestimate bringing your son along, or talking about your dreams of building and maintaining the truck with your son, and all the fun you would have on camping trips and expeditions.

I have seen people sell a truck for less to the right buyer, than making a fortune to someone who wouldn't care for their beloved truck as they would like.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    I have met Rover owners who hang on to an old 88 or 109 till their price comes along, and sometimes it does. I agree that a few thousand at least to be road safe, tires, etc. I bought a rat that needed everything, for 3K 15 years ago. (1965 2a. ex mod.) but it was the style and car I wanted. Play the game, sound modestly interested and state the facts, scratch your chin and low ball him. If there are not any other takers, he may bite. Good luck. cheers.
    Good approach, but as I stated in my post, someone else already offered him $4500 so I doubt very much he would sell for that (or less)...

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    Someone like this gentleman, who has had the truck for many years, May also be looking for the "right" home for the truck. Someone who will love it and cherish it like himself. Do not underestimate bringing your son along, or talking about your dreams of building and maintaining the truck with your son, and all the fun you would have on camping trips and expeditions.

I have seen people sell a truck for less to the right buyer, than making a fortune to someone who wouldn't care for their beloved truck as they would like.
    Good point, I had not thought of that. Maybe the other potential buyer didn't strike his fancy. Anyway, no harm going to see it and talking to the old gentleman. Cheers.