Thread: Carawagon Project

Default Carawagon Project

Hello all; I've been a member of this forum since I bought an 88" IIA last year but this is my first posting. I'm hoping to get some advice on my new project, a recently purchased 1971 Carawagon. This vehicle needs a lot of work before it's road worthy, so I'm starting with a complete rebuild of the pop up roof. I have all of the original wood pieces so duplicating those is pretty straight forward. Where I need some help is in sourcing the other top components:

1. Rubber seals: All of the roof seals are shot. A search of the LRCC website has identified several vendors in Britain who have the necessary parts available. I am wondering if anyone knows of someone located this side of the pond who can supply these seals.

2. Piano hinges: Need all new piano hinges and I'm guessing S/S is the best option. Does anyone know of a source for these piano hinges?

3. New roof: The existing roof is shot and needs to be replaced. It is apparently made out of some kind of thin, flexible, aluminum sheet, with 3 pieces bonded or riveted together and flocking on the inside. Same question as above on sourcing the material. Also, if there is someone who has replaced their roof, I would appreciate any suggestions you have on building a new one.

I'm really looking forward to getting this camper rebuild and back out on the road.

Chris

I think TerriAnn is rebuilding her camper as we speak. May not be the exact same pieces, but the info or list of suppliers couldn't hurt. I'm sure she will chime in with some info. If not, shoot her an email

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island (www.jamestowndistributors.com) has stainless continuous hinges. They also have stainless window tracks made for marine use.

McMaster-Carr might be of help as well. Their catalogue is excellent.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president