Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73 SIII engine knock...

Default 73 SIII engine knock...

just bought a SIII with lots of extras including a rebuilt 2.25L engine. My question is, the engine thats currently in the SIII has a knock after 10 minutes of driving (once it heats up) that happens when starting out and goes away once you get moving.

The rear main seal is leaking all over. previous owner said he would fill it and in 2 days it would lose the oil added.

What do I do??? should I have the rebuilt engine installed? have the rear main seal done? or, should I use a heavier oil and some stop leak and chance it since I have the spare engine?

I feel like I have a get out of jail free card and can experiment a bit.

Let me know...

Default Have it installed?

You own a Series now you have to install it yourself.
    Got a garage, or even a nice driveway?
    Get an engine hoist, around $200.

Knocking and huge oil leak!

You'll have to pull the engine anyway to replace the rear main anyway.
    Put in the rebuild engine.
    Get an engine stand ($50) and got thru the other engine to find the problem. maybe something simple causing the knock, fix the rear main seal if the crank isn't tore up and than you'll still have a spare.

Don't foget to check the clutch and throw out bearong while your in there!

you mean I will need to get my hands dirty

I am not sure if I am prepared for that... Since it's my first series I think I will ease into mechanicals with some simple maintenance and work my way up to engine replacement and rear main seals.

I do think you have a great point. I will check around to see who might do the job where I am. (MA NH border)

thanks for the advice. I promise to get my hands dirty on an oily part of the series at some point today. LOL

Swapping out the engine on a series isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. I would suggest you pick up a couple manuals such as the Green Bible, or even the haynes manual, and dive right in. It's probably the easierst vehicle to work on aside from maybe a 70's fullsize american pick up.

The hardest part of pulling the engine I think is removing the trans tunnel and floor plates covers to get to the bell housing bolts.
    Pulling the radiator and front panels can be a pain it stuff is rusted.
    Just get some "BK Blaster" and squirt down all your fastners for a couple days before hand.
    The swap is mostly bull work no real finesses' required.
    Except when it comes to getting the trans input shaft lined up with the clutch and crank pilot bushing but it just takes eye balling it up.
    You'll need an alginment tool ($8) to get the clutch disc centered on the flywheel before trying to install.

I was surprised how easy it was to swap and engine the first time I did it.
    (16 years old on a big block Chevelle in my parents driveway)
    You just need the right tools.
    What you'll pay someone else to do it will pay for everything you need.
    And most likely have money left over to buy other cool LR upgrades.

But than again you have to have a place to store all that stuff when you don't need it. I guess you could rent the hoist?
    I take my hoist apart and haul it down the basement.

thumb-up

I now feel I can acomplish this task... Although, it seems I will need to bulk up on some tools (and a hoist)

I did get some feedback from another board on the cost of this job. Seems to have it done should run 800.00 to 1500.00.

I will weigh it and might just buy the bloody hoist and tools.

Thanks...

Were are you maybe someone is close enough to lend a hand?

Ashburnham, Massachusetts. It's in the top middle of the state. I just called an uncle of mine, he has the hoist, a full hydralic floor lift and a garage to work out of but, cant assist with the exchange.

I also found that the original owner has 4 or 5 service manuals that I am going to poke thru.

As far as I can see, it is only some fuel lines, steering components, the front grill and radiator and unbolt the tranny and engine mounts.

seems that cityside garage in holliston, MA has a very reputable guy (alan) that is going to check it out for me next monday.

George at rovers down south said he was good, anyone ever do business with him for service?
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

Default Cityside Garage

You can't go wrong using Cityside Garage, and as you've already probably discovered Alan is a really nice guy and very knowledgeable and helpful. He did an engine swap on my 109 shortly after I got it and I've had no complaints about any of the work done there.