Thread: Series carrier bearing question

Default Series carrier bearing question

Hi All,

So I am replacing my carrier bearings in my salisbury rear axle. I looked up and as mentioned on Terri Anns website (not trying to throw anyone under the bus here), the bearings needed are a 382A and a 387A.

Sounds good.

So I pull the carrier. The races have 382S stamped on them. Huh.

So what is the difference? I guess my biggest concern is I already ordered the A stuff, but I might need the S stuff?

Is there a difference? If there is, what is it? My current thought process is that these are probably the bearings that came in the truck 40 years ago. So along the way someone said, "I have a better idea" and then they swapped over to the A bearings. If that is the case, then sounds good as long as everything fits up fine.

I'm looking for "There is no difference Max. Put em on and keep rovering."

Max, according to the Timken website the diameter of both cups are the same at 3.8125 inches. However the 382A series cup is .6250 wide while the 382S series cup is .7982 wide.
    If you use the A series you may need a crap load of shim.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Crap...

I don't know about the Salisburys, but I the the Rover diffs had some variation in the bearings. Have you measured your old one? I always remove and inspect before ordering if at all possible. I learned the hard way.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

I forgot. Max you have a detroit in the back. That may be why you require a different cup. Like Tom said, get in there and a check it.
    Jason

Nevermind, I think the detroit only replaces the internals and not the whole carrier on a salisbury.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Max, according to the Timken website the diameter of both cups are the same at 3.8125 inches. However the 382A series cup is .6250 wide while the 382S series cup is .7982 wide.
    If you use the A series you may need a crap load of shim.
    All I had to go by were the numbers on the boxes when I had my Salisbury professionally rebuilt in 1996. The 'A' was what they put in my Salisbury.

It's probably no help at all, but the Dana/Spicer 60 (I think that's what's meant by Detroit) uses the "A" series in MOST of theirs. But the correct info should be out there, possibly from our hosts.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Max has a Detroit locking diff instead of the stock open diff. Has nothing to do with being a Dana style.
    Hope Max reports back with what he finds.
    Jason