Thread: swivel ball oil seal

Default swivel ball oil seal

I have a 1966 88" land rover that I want to replace the swivel ball oil seals in without removing the swivels. I have heard of a way of splitting the new seal with the cut on top to make changing the seal easier. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thx Jim 407-325-6233 or email jeshope@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by jimeagle View Post
    I have a 1966 88" land rover that I want to replace the swivel ball oil seals in without removing the swivels. I have heard of a way of splitting the new seal with the cut on top to make changing the seal easier. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thx Jim 407-325-6233 or email jeshope@earthlink.net
    That is basically it. You cut the seal and make sure when you put the seal on that the cut you made is at the top of the swivel. You may want to drain the oil first (if there is any in there).

This keeps you from having to take the entire hub assemble off to change the seal.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

All you ever wanted to know about it, courtesy of TeriAnn: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Somebody did that on my old truck and I always looked at it as a half ass repair.........if your fine with that then knock yourself out, but I'd do it the right way.

If you are dead set on cutting the seal I'd use grease rather than 90W for the refill.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue